We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Distilled or Demineralised Water in Samui

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
488 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Distilled or Demineralised Water in Samui

Can anyone tell me if distilled or demineralised water is readily avaliable in Samui?

No it isn't a wierd hangover cure, just need it for a medical machine!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
5,028 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Distilled or Demineralised Water in Samui

Hi,

Is it for a CPAP machine because I will need the same info for July.

If it is,you can use boiled water if you have a kettle in your room.

May need to boil Thai water twice

Cheers Rob

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,568 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Distilled or Demineralised Water in Samui

Hi,

You can find it, but commonly it will be a pharmacist/druggist and not a regular food/retail store... While it does have other uses aside from medical (like to create the steam in classic clothes irons) it's not as readily available as is purified drinking water is.... but it is available.

Travel Safe,

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
488 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Distilled or Demineralised Water in Samui

Thanks for that GOPBI.

Yes Rob, it is for a CPAP. I just find that standard water leaves all the minerals and stuff behind which ends up a crusty layer on the bottom of the humidifier reservoir. Not that it is a big deal but saves a clean up!! Went all over Sth America using standard water, never thought about boiling it!! Probably a bit lucky.

Also, do you know if power outages are common? I see it happened, understandably, during the floods but on normal nights is power maintained? I can take a small sealed battery that keeps me going for about 4hrs but it is a bit of a pain in the ar.. for travel weight when you have battery, charger and leads at 3.5kgs on top of the 5.5kgs for the CPAP. Plan to have a shop up for the wife in BKK (and also in Samui) so will probably go overweight!

You sound like you are a regular visitor to Samui?? I like seeing all you guys post and talk so positively of Samui wanting to go back again and again. I think I have a treat coming on and am getting excited about Samui, the food and the whole culture thing.

Cheers

Daz

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
5,028 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Distilled or Demineralised Water in Samui

Hi Daz,

I have just started using mine in the last 2 months and was told that I might not have to use the humidifier in Thailand because of the humidity in the air already.I dont know how this stacks up when you are indide in Aircond.I have been using Purified water through our Puratap & dont get any layer in the humidifer.

I have been to Thailand afew times but not Samui.

I dont thing the power reliability would be a problem unless there are storms etc.

We are in Koh Samui July 7th to 15th.

Cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers Rob

Edited: 5:24 am, May 04, 2011
5. Re: Distilled or Demineralised Water in Samui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, October 29, 2012