We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food poisoning April 2011- beach bbq - just us affected?

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Food poisoning April 2011- beach bbq - just us affected?

Have just returned from ten days in Bohput Koh Samui and for the last three days of our holiday, my sister and I have suffered with terrible stomach upset, cramps and a high temperature which we can only attribute to potential food poisoning. The last meal we ate was a beach barbeque at our hotel which included a cold buffet of fresh oysters which we both ate - this is the only thing that the other 8 members of our group did not eat. This was on the 26th and we're still suffering from the symptoms.

We don't want to start throwing accusations at the hotel, which was great in every aspect but we just wondered if we were the only ones affected? We did mention it to the hotel reception but did not hear anything back. Maybe this was just a coincidence but we are now having to take antibiotics and await our test results as we don't seem to be able to tolerate any food five days on. Anyone else able to comment?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
5,153 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Food poisoning April 2011- beach bbq - just us affected?

I think oysters are an abomination whether the Bible says or not..

Cheers Rob

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Food poisoning April 2011- beach bbq - just us affected?

Hi all,

Thank you for your posts. I am a great lover of seafood and have eaten fresh oysters all over the world and guess my sister and I were just unlucky this time. One week on and we are both still suffering with terrible stomach cramps (and worse). Until the test result come though, we will not know for definite if it was the oysters that have caused this ilness.

The intention of the original post was not to put anyone off eating any of the Thai food as it was generally of exceptional quality but just to find out if the effect was more widespread.

Please don't let my experience put you off trying some of the local food as you would truly be missing out on some wonderful treats.

Happy travelling all!

TMC

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
488 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Food poisoning April 2011- beach bbq - just us affected?

Hi,

Cheers TMC75, I am a foody through and through and won't let it put me off other stuff. If it happens it will be a good weight loss programme anyway.

Does having a high chilli intake help kill any bugs?

Hope you and your sister are better soon.

Daz

Italy
Level Contributor
39,497 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Food poisoning April 2011- beach bbq - just us affected?

Let us know the outcome of the tests.

15. Re: Food poisoning April 2011- beach bbq - just us affected?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, October 29, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Bophut