We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery Store

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Grocery Store

We"ll be renting a house in Atenas for a week in March and wanted to know where the best location is for groceries? I would consider both a store and some fresh markets! Is there also somewhere to buy wine near by? Thanks

Ontario
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery Store

I would be interested to know this too. Anyone have any advice to share?

Ontario
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery Store

I would be interested to know this too. Anyone have any advice to share?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery Store

Lots of choice in Atenas for grocery stores. The newest and biggest is the Coopeatenas. It is on your right hand side as you enter town from Alajuela (Airport). You will see the gas station and directly down the hill is the grocery store. All the grocery stores have beer, wine & liquor.

There is also a farmers market every Friday morning that has fresh fruit, vegetable,bread, meats etc.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,470 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery Store

I haven't been to Atenas, but would like to add a few comments about grocery shopping in general around Costa Rica.

Typically each town has a central market where you will find stalls & small shops such as fruit/veg, butcher, bakery, etc. Most towns also have a weekly farmers market (feria) open for 1 or 2 days. Prices are lowest at the farmers market as you're buying directly from the growers in season. You'll also typically find small mom & pop grocery stores (pulperias) scattered around in different neighborhoods. Lastly you'll find the larger chain grocery stores such as Hipermas, Rosvil, Auto Mercado, & WalMart (super centers, Pali, Mas X Menos, etc.).

Wine & hard liquor is typically sold in the chain grocery stores and in local liquor stores. Most wine is imported, so a bit more expensive. I was once given a bottle of a locally produced wine, but don't remember the brand name.

Again prices are typically best at the farmers market followed by the central town market. I enjoy meeting the local producers, comparing prices and practicing my Spanish. I've found the vendors extremely helpful in that they'll help you pick out the best/ripest fruit. Don't be afraid to try something new that's in season.

As mentioned above a Friday farmers market may or may not work for you depending on your arrival date.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery Store

Thanks,that helps!

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,470 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery Store

I also noticed that you're visiting in March. The last week of the month is holy week (semana santa) which may or may not affect your travel. There are dry laws (on Thursday & Friday) which means no liquor sales on those days. Business hours may also be affected that week due to the holidays.

I've seen other forum posts indicating that the dry laws may be changing, but haven't seen anything definitive about it.

7. Re: Grocery Store

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, August 30, 2014