We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atenas in Feb. '12

Which Atenas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
MD
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Atenas in Feb. '12

A group of 10 friends (early retirememt) bid on a house in Atenas at a charity auction and got it. We are off to a house in the mountains of Atenas-20 mi. NW of Juan Santa Maria Airport for a week beginning Feb. 19th. and that's about all we know! Any advice about whether we should rent cars, need a GPS, depend on an occassional driver, condition of roads, which sights to see and how we use our base in Atenas to our advantage would be greatly appreciated. We will have a pool but doubt it'll get much use in mid-Feb.(70's?) We are doing our 'homework' but the best advice is always from The Forum- so thanks in advance for any help! (as you can see, we need it! :-)) Annie

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,873 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atenas in Feb. '12

2 questions about Atenas in 24 hours from different people! That is unheard of!

Congrats on winning the auction. Did you "win" the house, as in it is now your house? or did you just win a trip? Just curious.

Yes, if you can rent a car absolutely do it. There is not much to see and do in that area so you are going to want the ability to explore a bit, and for that you need a car. GPS is pretty cheap so I think that is a good idea. We have few roadsigns here so it can come in handy. Roads are fine.

You can get to the coast from Atenas in about 1 hour on the new highway, Manuel Antonio is about 2 hours away, Arenal volcano is about 3 I guess.

Poas volcano, Doka Coffee Estate, La Paz Waterfall Gardens are all on the same mountain, about 1 hour. The town Sarchi where many wooden crafts are made you can reach in under an hour.

The big metal church in Grecia is good to visit, unique in the construction.

The weather is nice in Atenas, it gets quite a bit hotter than 70's so I think if you have access to a pool you will use it.

I live close to Atenas now, and lived in the town proper for some time, let me know if you need anymore specifics about the lay of the land.

Cheers

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Atenas in Feb. '12

Deninatelly consider rentaing a car to move around, as there is not much to do in Atenas but it might be a nice base for day trips as suggested by the previous poster

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,099 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Atenas in Feb. '12

If somebody can answer your question and any question about ATENAS...only Inca can really do it...he loves Atenas and spend there many years....and ATENAS loves INCA!

Feel free to ask him any question...he loves to help people like you guys...

roadadivsor

4. Re: Atenas in Feb. '12

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:36 am, February 07, 2012
MD
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Atenas in Feb. '12

Thanks you so much. We hope to use a recommended driver mostly and plan at least one overnight away . Otherwise, love the idea of more local sightseeing and enjoying Atenas and the house. If you see a very happy tourist strolling the park, it might be me! Thank you! Annie

Cadillac, Michigan
Level Contributor
5 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Atenas in Feb. '12

Joyceh,

Could you comment more on how to find a reliable driver? We are staying in Atenas for a week but want to see the Limon area. How would recommend we find a driver? Thank you!

MD
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Atenas in Feb. '12

We are staying at a friend's home in Atenas and at their recommendation have contacted Walter's Tours, walterramirezc@yahoo.com

He is supposed to be very good and reliable. I've been in contact with him a couple of times with questions and he's gotten right back with information and advice. So, after the 26th I'll know personally, but for now this is what we're going on. You might want to emai or call him for specific info. His telephone # is (506) 88734266

Hope it works out. Annie

MD
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Atenas in Feb. '12

We 'won' the house for a week's stay. (Only!!)

Your suggestions of places to visit is helpful. Do you know of a place for a slice of picca (or more) "on the west side of town where the thin crust and flavor remind one of Tuscany.". (description of someone who remembers it ALL-but the name!. :-)

9. Re: Atenas in Feb. '12

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:37 am, February 07, 2012
nebraska
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Atenas in Feb. '12

We always use Wilson Rojas as a driver if possible. He is a great guy and has a lot of knowlege to share. wilson_elsy@yahoo.com

We have also used Walter and he is OK.