We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to samos and loved it!

W.yorks
Level Contributor
23 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
First time to samos and loved it!

We have just returned from Votsalakia and loved it.Peaceful for a relaxing break.Stayed at Smaragda and they are excellent.Also,ate many times at The ballard of Bill and Salome.Now we know why it is no.1 on Samos.Excellent authentic Greek food and Greek hospitality.

For those concerned about Greece being in the news and are unsure-DON'T.Everything is as it always has been.Nothing has changed.Prices are in our opinion very reasonable and had money left over.Sadly,we and repeat regulars are dismayed by Thomsons only flying from Gatwick next year.So for us northerns we are stuck.Samos was our first time and probably the last,A great shame.

5 replies to this topic
Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to samos and loved it!

Hi ............It is a lovely island and I am so glad you enjoyed it.

I don't know how we can convince the airlines to continue with northern flights to these far flung islands. It does seem that, somehow, we don't make economic sense to them, even though the flights are always full. :O(

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
10,881 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to samos and loved it!

was it windy in Samos? I have heard that it is windy in the North

W.yorks
Level Contributor
23 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to samos and loved it!

Hi Delboy!Yes we did have a few windy days,but,at this time of the year its welcome.The north of the island is noted for its windsurfing.

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
10,881 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to samos and loved it!

Thanks for that Yorkshiretwo, we like trying different places, this year we picked Lemnos and landed at Samos to drop off passengers, we had a week of strong winds at Lemnos before it settled down. Although it was said to be exceptional and normally just gets a breeze, I was chatting to another couple who said the North of Samos can be the same.

Edited: 2:45 pm, July 23, 2012
Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
426 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to samos and loved it!

So glad you enjoyed Samos, Yorkshire Two. We found July to be hotter than usual this year but the constant breeze was very welcome!

Don't give up on Samos, there is still time for someone to step into the breach and help the Northern set out. Alternatively, why not do as we do and consider a weekend in Athens followed by a blissfully short flight to Samos? It's actually easier to plan holidays from work because you aren't stuck with a Thursday flight. Just a thought ...

Reply to: First time to samos and loved it!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Votsalakia