We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gregory Apartments, Bali info please!

Buxton, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Gregory Apartments, Bali info please!

Hi could anyone give me a little more info on these apartments, as the picture of apts on Olympic is of the Eva studios!!!? On holiday watchdog, it shows the gregory to have a swimming pool! I would just like to know if the apartments/studios have balconies and if there is actually a pool!!

Thanks

Lancashire
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gregory Apartments, Bali info please!

There isn't a pool but with most holidays with Olympic, you can use a pool in another apartment/hotel block with the Olympic logo.

I'm wondering whether Eva and Gregory are back to back or close to each other as the pictures are similar.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gregory Apartments, Bali info please!

Just found this;

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189413-i424-k27…

Gregory traditional, more in the shade and has terraces to sit out on rather than balconies.

rotherham
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gregory Apartments, Bali info please!

hi... if its the same gregory apartments we stayed in back in 1991 they just had a small terrace at the front where you went in through your door owned then by a lovely family she used to make alsorts of food and cake and when we came back from beach she used to come round to all with some........proberbley not the same one it was just up a small walkway from the harbour it was such a small place bali then but i have seen how it has grown over the years don't no why we have never been back been to crete 3 times since but other resorts....

wendy

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
42 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gregory Apartments, Bali info please!

hi

there isn't a pool at Gregory not sure about Eva which is just over the road and up a bit but the apartments are only about a 2 minute walk from the harbour beach which is lovely

The one bedroom apartments have small balconies off the bedrooms. The studios on the upper floor share a narrow terrace/walkway which overlooks the courtyard. The ground floor studios open onto the shared courtyard.

Bali is lovely if a bit hilly and the people are very friendly

hope you enjoy Bali

ps the little train no longer runs

oldbury, west...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gregory Apartments, Bali info please!

Can someone tell me please? Why has the the little train stopped running? It was great to jump onto when we were there in 2009. I suspect it's the cutbacks.

Cheers

Denise

Lancashire
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gregory Apartments, Bali info please!

Can anyone tell me about buses from Bali to Rethymon and Iraklion? How far from the harbour to the nearest bus stop on the main road? Approx how long does it take to get to the main cities and how much does it cost?

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gregory Apartments, Bali info please!

I believe the small train doesn't run anymore due to the fact that there was a delay paying the Hire company that owns the train

Lancashire
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gregory Apartments, Bali info please!

Before I review Gregory Studios, I'll start by saying that if you're used to low budget self catering apartments on the Greek islands, then you'll be familiar with basic nature of the accommodation. If you want higher standards, book a hotel or pay more. If you just want a base to stay, on the cheap and like self catering, then Gregory is fine.

When you walk up to the Gregory Studios, you're in for a treat, It doesn't look like an apartment block. It's covered in large flowering shrubs, jasmine and a pomegranate tree and looks like someone's house. Lots of insects, geckos and birds frequent the buikding so if you don't like mingling with nature, this place might not be for you.

Gregory's is a traditional, quaint little place run by Gregoris and Maria who give you a big Greek welcome. You might even get some raki and snacks during your stay.

Our room had a double bed but not sure about the others. The kitchen had a kettle, fridge, two electric rings, fairly well equipped with enough crockery & cutlery. Table and chairs and bedside cupboards. One mirror. Enough electric points.

Downsides: Bathroom could do with a little care. It needed a new shower curtain and bath mat and the grouting needed doing. Small signs of damp but clean otherwise. No hook for showerhead so you have to hold it-fairly usual for basic SC studio. We had no private balcony which was OK as we got on well with the couple next door. There's a narrow walkway and you sit outside your studio on the table and chairs. You share a airer to dry your clothes/towels. Some people find it a little noisy as the studios are close together but only when the bathroom window is open. The walls aren't thin. It's close to an internet bar that plays music until midnight but it's not loud. Other than that it is residential and you can walk up to the small chapel and get a good view of the bay in 5 mins.

The harbour front is 2-4 mins way, depending on how fast you walk. All tavernas offer great, reasonabley priced greek food with the Panorama being the most expensive. The Nest is the most traditional, family run taverna with good spit roasts. Valentinos has a good choice and view of the beach. Panorama has the best view of the whole bay, is large, more formal and busy, especially on Greek dancing nights. Excellent food and wine. Akrogialis was my least favourite but it was very popular and cheap. Slightly less choice and lower quality but that might have been my choices but still good food. Nice layout and on two small floors.

We only went to the beach at the harbour twice and the best but small beach at Evita, go up past the Panorama taverna, up the steps past the cat rescue home, past some apartments and then along the track that winds down with beautiful views of the cliffs and bay. Sunbeds are 2 euros each, umbrelllas 2 euros. Good snacks and drinks at the tavernas there too. Lovely calm water, slopes gently, lovely views.

Wifi access at most of the bars on the harbour front. Closet supermarket and the best is Mikalis who gives you samples of his own local wine, raki, raki with honey & cloves, olives, feta, olive oil and halva. All organic and delicous.

It's a 30 mins walk to the main road. Buses are easy to get as there's a ticket office at the bus stop. Buses to Rethymno and Iraklion every hour. Timetable online.

Bali is a peaceful resort with good tavernas and very friendly. The beaches aren't outstanding and the sunbeds are close together but the sea is beautiful and whole bay is stunning because of the mountains.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gregory Apartments, Bali info please!

Just returned from a week at The Gregory Apartments (or Studios). Booked with Olympic.

Bali is lovely although it is a tad hilly. The beaches are all good although my favourite was Evita beach. Location is absolutely great and there is a good bar almost next door, lots of supermarkets and good harbourside restaurants. Prices are consistent and fair. Boat trip to Rethymon was good value, as is local bus, which makes it easy to get around. Long walk to bus stop on the main road but worth the effort.

Accomodation is okay if you just want basic bed. Don't get excited though, standard of cleaning is appalling as they try to save money. We had sheets and towels changed 2 days after we arrived (fri) and that was it. More importantly that was the only day they emptied the toilet paper bin! We complained to the Rep who followed through so they emptied the bins on the Sunday and ignored us the rest of the time. 2 toilet bin empties in 7 days, heat was 42 degrees and we had 3 cockroaches in the room. I wonder why? Needless to say, stay elsewhere.

Edited: 12:10 pm, August 07, 2012
10. Re: Gregory Apartments, Bali info please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 31, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Bali