We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos?

Which Georgioupolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Helsingborg, Sweden
Level Contributor
29 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitos?

I believe that Georgioupolis is situated near a swamp/freshwater area.

Anyone know if the mosquitos are more a problem here than elsewhere?

Thanks for any info.

Gtr Manchester
Level Contributor
14 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos?

Hi GrekoPhil. I went twice to Georgioupolis last year and was bitten badly the first time in early June but not so bad in mid September. I am fair skinned so mosquitos do tend to like me, though! I'm going back in 2 weeks so will take plenty of spray containing Deet this time. I find antihistamine tablets help to control the itching and help me to sleep. I've also been to Malame to the west of Chania and Paleochora in the South West and not had problems there. Georgioupolis wasn't developed until a couple of hundred years ago due to the swamps around there. Having said all that, it's a lovely place, great long beach, lots of good places to eat and the Cretans are very hospitable. Hope I haven't put you off going.

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos?

Just buy a mosquito repellent from a local super market plug it in, and the scent will discourage them from bitting you.

Georgioupolis was a swamp many many years ago but it was drained.

west sussex uk
Level Contributor
993 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos?

Really not an issue.

Unless you plan to sleep outside next to the river.

4. Re: Mosquitos?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 09, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Georgioupolis