We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Heraklion

Which Georgioupolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
11 posts
Save Topic
Bus from Heraklion

Hi I am going on holiday to Georgioupolis in September and we are planning to get the bus from Heraklion. I have the bus timetable but does anyone know if there is a particular bus stop we need to head for?

Thanks

Lucy

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from Heraklion

Georgioupolis is a very long village. There's an official stop at its western end, but, you can always ask the driver to drop you off before.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,577 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from Heraklion

The bus goes via Rethymnon, from bus station A in Heraklion. Bus station A is near the port area and the city walls. It's very near the harbour where the small boats moor.

When you get there you have to buy tickets from the kiosk inside. The tickets will tell you the number of the bus, which is usually stuck on the middle of the windscreen at the top. You may well find that there is more than 1 bus setting off at the same time for the same destination. The ticket will also have a seat number, although a recent forum on here suggested that many people ignore this! However, if you sit in the correct seats, then no-one can come and turf you out!

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,577 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from Heraklion

Maybe I misread your original post; maybe you do mean at G'opolis not Heraklion. Either way, it's a good call from Marjan. If you get off at the wrong place you may have a long walk, presumably with your luggage.

bridgend
Level Contributor
7 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from Heraklion

We have the same idea catching bus from Heraklion to Georgiopolis, so this is good info for us too! Thanks

london
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus from Heraklion

Hi,

when are you going? or have if been? if so how was the bus and do you have any tips!?

london
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus from Heraklion

Hi,

No you didn't misread my post I am travelling from Heraklion to Georgiopolis, thanks for your info. We are actually staying outside of Georgiopolis in the resort of Kavros which is before Georgiopolis. We were planning to get a taxi from Georgiopolis but do you think the bus driver would stop if we asked him to?

Thanks so much for your help

Lucy

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,577 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus from Heraklion

If you are staying at a big or biggish hotel, it is likely that the conductor will know where you want to get off. There are stops at intervals along the road, and I am sure there must be one in that area. Best thing to do may be to e-mail the hotel and ask them where to ask for. As far as I remember, the main road in that area is more or less enclosed, with gaps at the bus stops and road junctions, and I would not recommend walking along it for any length. However, I've had a look on Google earth and it looks like there is a gap, and almost certainly a bus stop, near the hotels at Kavros/Kourna beach. It also looks like there is a slip road accessing all the hotels on the seaward side, so it would be safe to walk along that. Where are you staying?

london
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus from Heraklion

Wow you really do know your stuff thanks! we are staying at the Sandy Beach Hotel which used to be called the Akti Manos. It's not a big resort just a small hotel, i think it is two on from the Kournas village resort so we could always ask the bus driver if he knows that one. My skills in speaking greek are very limited will the bus driver understand english?

Thankyou again for your expertise!

Lucy

bridgend
Level Contributor
7 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus from Heraklion

The Kouras bus stop is right outside the Sandy Beach, we caught the first bus from Heraklion this morning and arrived as breakfast was starting, Sandy Beach is lovely,friendly staff, clean and lovely pool, gardens and beach. Food is good ,salads etc.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,577 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus from Heraklion

Thanks to diddleymaz for that, there's no substitute for on-the-spot local knowledge!

diddleymaz, which other hotels is the Sandy Beach near to?

Get answers to your questions about Georgioupolis