We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

restaurant with a view

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
restaurant with a view

a friend was trying to think of a wonderful restaurant she remembered somewhere in the sechelt/sunshine coast area that has wonderful food and the best view she has ever seen from a restaurant in the world. i'm going to sunshine coast at end of july and would love to find this restaurant. sound familiar to anyone? she mentioned chatterbox falls and princess louisa. ideas?

thank you,

jody

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
746 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: restaurant with a view

Okay I'll try and help out. Best views in the world now that is something. Almost all the restaurants in Sechelt have wonderful views.

The Upper Deck Cafe located at the Secret Cove Marina is my favorite for location and view. http://www.secretcovemarina.com/upperdeck/ However, I doubt it is the one your friend is talking about as she would of mentioned if it was floating.

Right in Sechelt is Pebbles Restaurant. It is located in the Driftwood Inn. There is a nice walking path infront of the restaurant. The view is out towards Vancouver Island. Here is the link to the website http://www.driftwoodmotorinn.com/ Your friend might remember it from the pictures. I'm sure this is the restaurant your friend is thinking about. And the view is lovely but living here I guess we begin to take it for granted.

rock-water (formerly Lord Jims) is about 20 minutes outside of Sechelt. It is part of a large resort. Again it has beautiful views. Lots of weddings are held here mainly because of the fantastic views.

The Lighthouse Pub has views of the Inlet and the marina. Its where the planes land. Nice enough view.

The Blue Heron also has views of the Inlet.

I'll post again with activty suggestions.

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: restaurant with a view

thank you for the ideas. she seems to think it started with "wilderness something". seems like it was a drive and again around inlet or chatterbox or princess louisa. thoughts?

thanks,

jody

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
746 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: restaurant with a view

The Westcoast Wilderness Lodge. It is a good 45 minutes past Sechelt. Amazing views but I didn't mention it as a possibility as it is way outside of Sechelt. They also run tours to Chatterbox Falls/Princess Louisa.

The Westcoast Wilderness Lodge is a great place to base a stay to the Sunshine Coast. In addition to a great restaurant and accommodation they offer wonderful and unique tour opportunities.

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: restaurant with a view

thank you again! we are staying at the painted boat resort and i just was on the phone with them and they thought it was the west coast wilderness lodge also. apparently it's about 20-30 min. from the resort. sounds like a spot to see. any other suggestions for restaurants? hikes? what about francis point marine park? skookumenuk rapids?

thank you,

jody

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
746 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: restaurant with a view

The restaurant and spa at The Painted Boat are excellent (so are the accommodations).

Ruby Lake has a fantastic Italian Restaurant. This is located about half way between The Painted Boat and The West Coast Wilderness Lodge.

I always recommend the Upper Deck Cafe. But it is good 20 minute drive from The Painted Boat.

Not sure of your travel plans so I won't bother with Gibsons and Sechelt restaurants.

I would definitely take a tour to Chatterbox Falls and Princess Louisa. Sorry I'm not familiar with any tour operators that run from Pender Harbour/Egmont. The West Coast Widerness Lodge does but I'm not sure if their tours are open to nonguests - probably are. Here is a link to a tour company that operates out of Sechelt: sunshinecoasttours.bc.ca/…plitour

Skookumchuk is something everyone does. It is a really nice walk. But it is famous for the whitewater rapids at the end of the walk. If you do go there are specific viewing times. You should be able to find this information at The Painted Boat.

Another nice hike is Smugglers Cove. It is on the way to Pender Harbour (about 15 minutes outside of Sechelt). It is a 2 hour round trip.

A more adventurous hike is up to the top of Mt. Daniel. It is steep but your effort is rewarded with amazing views of the communities that makeup Pender Harbour.

A boat tour of Pender Harbour is also very nice. The SloCat Tour is one option to get out on the water and see Pender Harbour from the water. Hiking Mt Daniel and/or taking a boat tour of the harbour shows why a 5 minute boat ride is a 30 minute drive. Malapsina Water Taxi does some nice tours that expand on a tour of the Harbour going to places like Jedediah Island and/or Nelson Island. These would all be nice trips. A nice evening would be to take the water taxi to Garden Bay Pub/Restaurant dine and then return via water taxi.

Another nice, quick stop/walk is Cliff Gilker Park. It is located in Roberts Creek (before Sechelt). It could be a nice place to stop and stretch your legs.

I can't comment on Francis Point - I've never been.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,590 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: restaurant with a view

Skookumchuk is a dreary slog through dark silent rainforest-check the tides because unless you're there @ tide change you're bound to be underwhelmed.

Best viewed from the air IMO.

Smuggler's Cover -a pleasant short stroll through straggly second growth to a nice little bay.

Mount Daniel-worth the walk up if it's a sunny day.

Rent a paddle craft of some nature and make your own way around Pender Harbour-to pay someone for that short trip would be a crime.

Francis Point is nice enough but unremarkable-if local teenagers aren't out tearing around it's quite quiet.

Ruby Lake Resort-very uneven food/service fine location.

I know the location your friend was talking about for dinner such views-so many different owners over the years though it's hard not to believe in reincarnation(!)

Vancouver
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: restaurant with a view

West Coast Wilderness Lodge Yes the best view in B.C. and still run by the the same owners. They built the lodge in 1997 and still run the operation. The lodge offers a wide list of things to do as well they offer some great zodiac tours to the inlets and rapids. Kayaking is some of the best on the Sunshine coast

8. Re: restaurant with a view

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 06, 2010