We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westview/Powell River to South Vancouver one-way transit

3 posts
Save Topic
Westview/Powell River to South Vancouver one-way transit

We am planning to drive one-way leaving from Westview/Powell River at 11:30 a.m. to south of Vancouver, all on 8 September 2018, a Saturday. We intend to catch the 8 pm. crossing at Langdale to Horseshoe Bay. My concern is that I am not sure where to pay for the sailing between Saltery Bay and Earl's Cove and where to pay for the Langdale-Horseshoe Bay crossing because we are going one-way and southbound. Please dispel our confusion. We are from New Zealand and hope to return when we have more time to enjoy your Sunshine Coast at a leisurely pace.

Many thanks,

Marsa and Wil

7 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31,546 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westview/Powell River to South Vancouver one-way transit

Just drive. If there is a toll gate at the access to the terminal, you pay. If there isn't, you don't. Eg. this is what you will see when you arrive at Saltry Bay:

https://goo.gl/maps/EcWzUA5B3fC2

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westview/Powell River to South Vancouver one-way transit

V67. Brilliant!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31,546 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westview/Powell River to South Vancouver one-way transit

LOL - I appreciate the concerns when planning from overseas, but its really important not to overthink this one.

Now, what the OP hasn't asked about is reservations, which is a different issue....

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
66,415 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westview/Powell River to South Vancouver one-way transit

You get two ferry rides on the Sunshine Coast with your ticket.

Option 1. One ticket, one way (Powell River to Horseshoe Bay - pay at Saltery Bay, OR Horseshoe Bay to Powell River - pay at Horseshoe Bay), two different ferries.

Option 2. One ticket, round trip, same ferry twice. Upper Sunshine Coast (Powell River) to Lower Sunshine Coast and back to Powell River - pay at Saltery Bay. Or from Horseshoe Bay to Lower Sunshine Coast and back to HB - pay at Horseshoe Bay.

Eastbound you pay at Saltery Bay and end up at Horseshoe Bay on one ticket. Westbound, you pay at Horseshoe Bay and end up at Powell River without paying again.

3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Westview/Powell River to South Vancouver one-way transit

Thanks for your alert--no stopping us now:^)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
682 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westview/Powell River to South Vancouver one-way transit

> LOL - I appreciate the concerns when planning from overseas, but its really important not to overthink this one.

I can see how visitors could get confused though as the systems vary around the world.

For example, in Croatia if you're riding a ferry you park in a parking lot exactly like you'd see in Langdale, but then you're expected to get out of your car, figure out where the ticket booth is, walk over to it, and pay for your car and passengers. Then you hand your receipt to a worker as you drive on board.

So it's not unreasonable to ask "How do I pay?"

Edited: 10:01 am, May 30, 2018
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Westview/Powell River to South Vancouver one-way transit

Thanks Geoff, you are a jewel with this reality check:^)

Reply to: Westview/Powell River to South Vancouver one-way transit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted