We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visting Rarotonga for first time, lodging suggestions?

Waterbury, Vermont
1 post
Save Topic
Visting Rarotonga for first time, lodging suggestions?

We arrive June 2-7, and first time to Cook Islands. Any help with picking which side of island to stay at, we like to snorkel, ride bikes and hike. We are couple and would ould like to be on or close to beach. We have looked at Manea Villas, Are Moe, and Muri Retreat Apartments.

Thanks,

Shawn

Mentioned in this post
Cook Islands
Cook Islands
South Pacific
Muri Retreat
Muri Retreat
141 Reviews
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visting Rarotonga for first time, lodging suggestions?

Shawn: All that information is already here on the forum. All you need to do is spend some time and read back about 10-12 pages. Read all the posts and answers and you will know where to stay, where to eat, what to do.

Also, read the reviews of properties to get a feel for them. Go to their websites. If you really get ambitious, go to www.jasons.com and get the visitors guide and map. Also www.http://www.cookislands.travel/USA for the official tourist site. Good Luck. Chuck...

Hokitika
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visting Rarotonga for first time, lodging suggestions?

My husband and I are also going to Rarotonga on June 2nd and we will be staying at Aremango guesthouse.

We have stayed there before and had an amazing time.

It is on the cheaper side and you do have to share bathrooms, toilets, kitchen etc. but it is a lovely place with really friendly people. It is only about 1 minutes walk down a path to a beautiful beach and 5 minutes walk down the road to the shops/restaurants/scooter hire place.

Mentioned in this post
Rarotonga
Rarotonga
Southern Cook Islands, Cook Islands
Aremango Guesthouse
Aremango Guesthouse
166 Reviews
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
ALBERTA
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visting Rarotonga for first time, lodging suggestions?

If you want to be on the beach with great snorkeling then give Cooks Bay Villas a try. Hosts are fantastic, villas are very well set up, located on the south side of the island, close to Wigmore's store for supplies.

Mentioned in this post
Cooks Bay Villas
Cooks Bay Villas
141 Reviews
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visting Rarotonga for first time, lodging suggestions?

You HAVE to be at Muri, no question. We just left Raro yesterday and trust me if you are anywhere but Muri you will regret that decision.

Also easy to get to the cross island hike from there although you will be doing it in reverse (not a problem as the wife and I did it in reverse. Allow 3.5 hours and be mindful the opposing direction has orange direction tags (look behind you for helpful guidance you are going the right way). At the Needle track crossroad if you headed north you have three options... straight on for Needle (4 minutes more), right for North of island exit, left to follow white water pipe and a dead end (don't follow that!). It is a great walk, you will love it but don't go unless the sky is blue or it will be muddy and very slippery.

Mentioned in this post
Muri
Muri
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
237 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visting Rarotonga for first time, lodging suggestions?

I have to disagree!! Muri is the LAST place we would stay. I guess it depends on what you are looking for but it is much too busy and doesn't have great snorkeling like other locations. As Chuck advises, so some research and decide what is importatnt to you as far as location goes and you won't be disappointed. Western or southern tip of the island is our favourite, much quieter and beautiful beaches.

Mentioned in this post
Muri
Muri
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visting Rarotonga for first time, lodging suggestions?

Muri too busy? By that you mean there were 3 people on the beautiful beach?

Muri has the only good beach/snorkelling on the island. Everywhere else is affected by rocks on the beach and in the water.

Muri was the only place I saw that looked like an Island paradise location (hence the hotels and restaurants). Everywhere else is just living on the reputation.

Mentioned in this post
Muri
Muri
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visting Rarotonga for first time, lodging suggestions?

Shawn. See responses 4 and 6? That's exactly why I said for you to do your own research and making up your own mind. Much of the time all you get here are opinions by people who have no idea what they are talking about. For example, there are a couple of areas that are WAY better for snorkelling than Muri Beach. Take care and Good Luck. Chuck...

Mentioned in this post
Muri Beach Resort
Muri Beach Resort
312 Reviews
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,664 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visting Rarotonga for first time, lodging suggestions?

Could not agree more with Black Belt Dan. Lots better places for snorkeling. Check out Titikaveka. I agree though that nowhere is busy

Suzi

9. Re: Visting Rarotonga for first time, lodging suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 19, 2013