We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which place suits us best?

Nelson
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
which place suits us best?

sorry meant to post it under 'Muri' before but somehow it's now under 'Avarua'...

---

Hi everyone,

We need help trying to choose between the following places to stay on Rarotonga:

self contained pool unit at Tiare Village

self contained bungalow at Aroko bungalows

self contained bungalow at Muri Lagoonview bungalows

We need to book asap but have no idea which option would work best for us. We are a family of 4 (two young children) and would like a clean, friendly, lovely place to stay in a quiet area near a beautiful beach where we can recuperate from stressfull times.

Which of these places do you think offers the best value?

Thank you so much for helping us choose, this will be once in a lifetime trip for us and we want this holiday to be one we'll never forget despite traveling on a tight budget!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: which place suits us best?

Sounds like you are keen to stay in the Muri area, and there are lots of attractions here, plus dining options and small shops to browse in. Therefore,it might pay to focus on deciding which of these accommnodation properties will fit your family needs. At a guess, I would say Are Meika because although it's inland like the Lagoonview villas, the incline to reach the property is less steep and a shorter distance to access the road for the bus service and the beach. Also the bungalow is roomier than the Aroko studios.

But do try the Muri Beach Shell-shop villas email again. They are the closest you'll get to Muri beach, and because the family-land runs from th road to the sea - you use their internal accessway which enters the beachfront between Muri Beach-Club Hotel and the Pacific Resort.

Plenty of people walk from Aroko into Muri itself, however, there is no footpath here (where we once had taro patches beside the road) hence it can be tricky to gain room between the actual road and the hedges/ remaining taro swamp; especially with children in mind.

At least you now have the benefit of the weekend almost upon us to determine which accommodation to book. Do let us know too what you eventually decide.

Nelson
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: which place suits us best?

Hi Frangipani, you're a wonderful help on this forum!

Muri shells and Are Meika are already fully booked. Jennie from Experience Rarotonga is helping us find something, hoping she will be able to come up with a nice option, otherwise it will be either Aroko or Lagoonview....Really hadn't anticipated that almost everything would be fully booked three months ahead but I guess Raro's a pretty popular place to go to indeed!

Have a great weekend and yes I will keep you posted.

Nelson
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: which place suits us best?

What about Muri Hillside which seems to be a part of VARA's. They have a 1 bedroom cottage thats available. Would love to hear your ideas on this place.

Have a great weekend everyone! Cheers, Phlox

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: which place suits us best?

With August arriving fast, and Raro being as popular as ever for a winter holiday destination, if you can get into any of Vara's accommodation this weekend - beachfront or hillside you can't go wrong. However, you did mention in the first post about Muri Lagoonview, and as you may be aware that is essentially part of the Vara Nui empire in Muri. If you wont mind the stretch of side road between the main road and beach, any property connected with Vara and her family will provide a nice stay. But be quick to decide which property to confirm your stay. And negotiate directly with the owners/proprietors yourselves to get the best deal for your family.

Glorious weather in the north, and very mild temps - how is sunny Nelson today?

Nelson
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: which place suits us best?

Hi Frangipani,

I have to admit, I'm starting to mix up the places. Muri Hillside and Muri Lagoonview feel a bit similar to me. Seem to be in roughly the same area and if I'm correct both on a hilly terrain. Leaning towards Muri Hillside now even though we dread walking up and down a hill with the kids many times a day and would prefer to have at least one bedroom...

Yes, do want to book this weekend. Waiting for Jennie to come up with two more options within our budget and then we'll decide.

Your thoughts on Hillside and Lagoonview are very welcome of course. Gosh, I had no idea it was going to be this hard to find something lovely in the budget price range!

Nelson is beautiful today, second sunny day in a row and more to come. Snow capped mountains are gorgeous. Have to do lots op wood chopping though to keep the fire going and the house warm...no need for that on Raro I'm sure ;)

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: which place suits us best?

LOL - my Dad kept a fire going throughout Raro winter, he lived in Titikaveka. I recall my Grandad too complaining about the cold winters in Titikaveka. Like all climates you become acclimatised to your given surroundings.

Unfortunately Raro accomm prices remain higher than NZ accomm rates overall. It's a premium tourism destination - especially over wintertime hence the property rentals and resort tarrifs reflect this factor. I live on Waiheke island during NZ summers, and I'm astounded at the prices paid during peak Christmas period. It's all relative and relates to the given advantages for staying anywhere near the coastline. Muri of course demands higher prices than elsewhere in Raro. However, the attractions around Muri beach and the natural amenity values e.g. lagoon area, motu, water activities, eastern aspect, sunrise, lovely beachfront all lend themselves towards higher than expected demand for visitor accommodation. And you'lll appreciate that with all the activities occuring in one common place, absolute beachfront will attract high end properties to be built here too - and more in the nbear future. Hence to those on modest Kiwi budgets, $100.00 p.n. seems a lot to pay, but for those spending Euros and the greenback, the Kiwi dollar makes this same cost extremely affordable. So that's what your family is up against.

Booking now to stay in Muri will either mean a trek up and down the hill to the main road, followed by a shortcut through a vacant section or side track to the beach etc, OR deciding not to stay in Muri and securing a spot in the sun on an alternative beachfront. Given your initial request for assistance, and your own particular circumstances I'm inclined to lead you away from Muri if you cant yet decide what is best given the existing choices.

How about a larger house in the Vaimaanga area, or in Arorangi village? Someone suggested Ava Lodge, I think it was on this thread? Although time is running out to confirm accomm and this may undoubtedly have been booked already. Did you receive a response for Flame cottage in Muri?

Edited: 12:29 am, July 03, 2010
Nelson
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: which place suits us best?

Hi again Frangipani, are def looking in other areas as well, just not the airport area or north east past where the beaches arent very nice. Have looked into all mentioned places the past few days and everything was either too expensive (125 and up) or not available. Cant remember what the deal was with Ava anymore, probably too expensive as well. Still have hope Jennie will come up with something good and still looking myself whenever the kids allow me some time to do so...Thanks again for helping! Cheers, Phlox

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: which place suits us best?

As a Rarotongan, I cherish all the beaches around this island because they all have their own particular charm. It's just that not all the lagoon areas lend themselves to having large clear areas suited to swimming and kayaking in the same way that the lagoon area in much of Takitumu district does. Takitumu includes Muri, Tikioki, Titikaveka and Vaimaanga.

Puaikura district including bigger Arorangi, Aroa, Rutaki, and Black Rock itself on the SW & West have lovely beaches, with bigger coral and the reefline is closer to shore, but the water clarity is higher and the fishlife is more robust with a wider range of marine species in general compared to the East and SE.

Rarotonga takes 1 hour to drive around. So the furtherest point from Muri somewhere in middle of Arorangi village takes 30 minutes to reach. If you can secure suitable accommodation at the price you require, but away from Muri each of villages etc will offer a Raro experience in their own way. The key is to take into account what there is available in the immediate area and take an opportunity to explore further. If this is your first visit to Raro, you'll have a chance to investigate towards a return trip to get closer to what you want next time. Plenty of other travellers have done the same thing.

All the best for your accommodation search for this trip. Kia Manuia.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: which place suits us best?

Hi Phlox, in case you missed reading your alternative thread (on Avarua forum), I posted some info for you regarding Raina Apartments. NZlilibet has also offered some sage advice in reference to the Raina on that thread as well. Cheers.

20. Re: which place suits us best?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 31, 2010