We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Arakura Sengen Shrine via public transport

Adelaide
Level Contributor
102 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
How to get to Arakura Sengen Shrine via public transport

Hi

My research show that two of the best spot to see Mt Fuji perfectly (i hope) is through Arakura Sengen Shrine and Fuji Five Lakes. Im plannin gto visit end of Feb or early March. I saw the famous photo of a pagoda with Mt Fuji and I was wondering:

1) how can I get there from Tokyo through public transport?

2) How long it will take me to get there?

3) How much is the cost of the transport (for budgetting purposes)?

4) Is it a good time to go there on winter or five lakes much better option?

Many thanks in advance for your response.

Mentioned in this post
Mount Fuji
Mount Fuji
1,233 Reviews
Chubu, Japan
Fuji Five Lakes
Fuji Five Lakes
27 Reviews
Yamanashi Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
7,034 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to Arakura Sengen Shrine via public transport

We drove but there is direction guide using public transport in the following. Note that upon arriving at the shrine you still have to hike up almost 400 steps to the pagoda.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6917.html

http://www.arakurasengen.com/goannai.html

Winter is indeed a better time that Mt. Fuji can be seen clearly. The view is also better during morning, so ideally spend a night in the Fuji Five Lakes area and start early. We went April and stayed the night in Kawaguchi-ko, waking up with the majestic view right outside our hotel window.

Mentioned in this post
Mount Fuji
Mount Fuji
1,233 Reviews
Chubu, Japan
Fuji
Fuji
Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan
Adelaide
Level Contributor
102 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to Arakura Sengen Shrine via public transport

Thanks William512. Do i really need to climb? hehehehe. thanks for the link, the second one is all in japanese:(

I envy you you saw it during spring time. I hope winter is also good for photos in the pagoda.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
7,034 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to Arakura Sengen Shrine via public transport

You don’t have to “climb” but it is a long and tiring walk up the 390+ steps. The steps are wide and well paved, still manageable by seniors like us, lol.

Don’t be as stupid as we were. We were so excited to see Mt. Fuji in the morning that we drove around and didn’t reach the shrine till almost noon. By the time we went up to the pagoda, the clouds had already come in and this is what we got.

https:/…5740665542934518962

So learn from our mistake and go EARLY.

Mentioned in this post
Mount Fuji
Mount Fuji
1,233 Reviews
Chubu, Japan
Adelaide
Level Contributor
102 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to Arakura Sengen Shrine via public transport

This is a great photo. Thanks so much. How long would you think it would take to get there from Tokyo?

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
7,034 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to Arakura Sengen Shrine via public transport

Assuming you start from Shinjuku in Tokyo, by train the shortest route is about 1 hr 45 min to Shimo-Yoshida with a transfer in Otsuki. Or you can take a bus to Kawaguchi-ko which is also about 1 hr 45 min followed by 10 min train to Shimo-Yoshida. From Shimo-Yoshida it is less than 10 min walk to Arakura Sengen Shrine and then the long hike up to the pagoda in another 10 min.

But since the chance of seeing a clear sky with unobstructed view of Mt. Fuji is much better during early morning, staying the night before in Kawaguchi-ko is highly recommended.

Mentioned in this post
Shinjuku
Shinjuku
Tokyo, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Sengen Shrine
Sengen Shrine
49 Reviews
Ota, Japan
Mount Fuji
Mount Fuji
1,233 Reviews
Chubu, Japan
Adelaide
Level Contributor
102 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get to Arakura Sengen Shrine via public transport

thanks so much. very helpful. i guess i have to find accomodation in that area then ill be staying in japan for a max of 4 days (incl airport travels). cheers!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
7,034 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get to Arakura Sengen Shrine via public transport

Do contemplate to spend a night in Kawaguchi-ko. There are lots of interesting sites there and around the Fuji Five Lakes area. I’m sure it would be a memorable visit – so best of luck for your quest of magnificent Mt. Fuji.

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Fuji
Fuji
Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan
Mount Fuji
Mount Fuji
1,233 Reviews
Chubu, Japan
Manila, Philippines
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get to Arakura Sengen Shrine via public transport

Hi,

If you're bringing a car, where can you park near the shrine?

Thanks!

9. Re: How to get to Arakura Sengen Shrine via public transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, March 16, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Fujikawaguchiko-machi