We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kawaguchiko and Mt Fuji views

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Kawaguchiko and Mt Fuji views

Hi.

It turned out that I have one spare day within my Japan trip and I would like to spend it somewhere where I can take pictures of Mt Fuji. I know that the 5 Lakes area is strongly recommended but I'm a bit afraid of the weather - I will be in Japan in 2nd half of February, which is pretty cold I guess.

I thought about going to Kawaguchiko from Tokyo using my JR Pass and change in Otsuki to Fujikyu Railway Line to get to Kawaguchiko Station... BUT I don't really know if this trip is worth the trouble. I won't be able to walk a lot which means no hiking in any national parks and so on... and additionally it will probably be very cold and snowy there.

Is this trip possible: go to Kawaguchiko, see Mt. Fuji (are there any easily accessible vantage points?), take some nice pictures of the mountain, wander around the town and get back to Tokyo? Perhaps good sights are accessible from some other place?

I know that I ask many questions (maybe too many) but I would be grateful if you could help me a bit :)

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kawaguchiko and Mt Fuji views

Actually, winter season is the best time to view Mt Fuji. There are more clear and sunny days than in other seasons, which tend of have haze or clouds that obstruct a good view of the mountain. So if you want to take some stunning pics, and the day is clear, get out to Kawaguchiko early when the air is clearest.

You can take the train to Kawaguchiko Station, then the retro bus is a good way to get around Lake Kawaguchi and Lake Sai cheaply. The bus stop is just in front of Kawaguchiko Station and it runs fairly frequently.

Another convenient way to get to Kawaguchiko is to just take the Chuo Highway Bus from the west Shinjuku bus terminal. Its costs 1,600 yen, very cheap.

http://www.jnto.go.jp/tourism/en/s041.html

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kawaguchiko and Mt Fuji views

This is a nice pic - check review as well.

tripadvisor.com/…29015267

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kawaguchiko and Mt Fuji views

Thank you, yamanote! It all sounds really great.

Could you tell me please, where was this picture taken? (I hope the link will work)

amazingtourismtraveling.com/wp-content/uploa…

It's very popular on various sites but I can see no description :)

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kawaguchiko and Mt Fuji views

That is Arakura Sengen Shrine park, near Kawaguchiko station in Fujiyoshita City.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6917.html

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kawaguchiko and Mt Fuji views

Thank you!!! :-)

This place in the picture appears to me as something amazingly "Japanese" (Fuji, pagoda, cherry trees...) and I will try to get there for sure!

Thanks a lot for your help and attention.

6. Re: Kawaguchiko and Mt Fuji views

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 19, 2011