We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kumbh Mela last day Feb 25th - should I go?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
46 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Kumbh Mela last day Feb 25th - should I go?

Hello! I will be finishing up a trip in India on February 25th, which I just found out is the last bathing day of Kumbh Mela. I could conceivably get to Allahabad that day, and I am wondering how feasible/worthwhile it is for me to try and attend.

I'll be in Varanasi/Sarnath on the 24th...what I *could* do would be take a bus or hire a car to get into Allahabad that evening, stay for the festival, and catch the 4:25pm flight from Allahabad to Delhi that evening (my flight to the USA leaves from Delhi in the wee hours of the next morning).

My question is - is it worth it?

Will only the hours of 6AM - 2PM or so really be sufficient for me to take in what there is to see and do?

Will there even BE things to see and do on that last day, and if so, what?

Will I be able to count on getting ground transportation out of Allahabad that afternoon or will it be too crowded/busy to try?

What precautions should I take to maintain health and safety?

Thank you so much for your time and consideration!

- Skiold

Mentioned in this post
Sarnath
Sarnath
2,363 Reviews
Varanasi, India
Allahabad
Allahabad
Allahabad District, India
Varanasi
Varanasi
Varanasi District, India
agra
Level Contributor
1,699 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kumbh Mela last day Feb 25th - should I go?

Hi Dear

Plz prebook car for allahabad trip.

It wd be very crowded, so guided tour wd be better for you.

There is nothing important there except bathing in ganges.

happy journey

New Delhi, Delhi...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kumbh Mela last day Feb 25th - should I go?

For More detail Please visit this website - besttouristplaces.info/north-india/tourist-p…

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kumbh Mela last day Feb 25th - should I go?

I don't recommend this plan! For one, the delhi flight is a bit unreliable and is sometimes diverted via Lucknow and takes longer and so on. For another, the city will be crazy with crowds on all the bathing days, and it will take you ages to reach anywhere from the train station, as they are likely to be making many roads pedestrianized and so on. Keep in mind that the main bathing area is at least 7-8 km from the train/ bus station. Better not to take a chance, especially since you have an international flight to catch!

Mentioned in this post
Lucknow
Lucknow
Lucknow District, India
Boston
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Kumbh Mela last day Feb 25th - should I go?

Hello Skiold,

What did you decide to do?

I ask because I also booked the 4:25pm flight from Allahabad to Delhi on Feb 25th -- and have an international flight at 3:30am the next morning.

After reading the above post, I'm worried about making this connection...

I will be coming from a camp near the bathing areas. (I envision needing to walk at least a few kilometers to reach a car -- for those familiar with Kumbh Mela, is it possible to reliably arrange a taxi to the airport on a bathing day?)

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Allahabad
Allahabad
Boston
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Kumbh Mela last day Feb 25th - should I go?

Dear Skiold,

I notice we both live in Boston. Is that where you're flying morning of Feb 26th?

I'm considering changing my flight to leave out of Varanasi, instead...

Mentioned in this post
Varanasi
Varanasi
Varanasi District, India
Nagpur, India
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Kumbh Mela last day Feb 25th - should I go?

@paloma you will get a taxi on the bathing day.

Allahabad
Level Contributor
6 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kumbh Mela last day Feb 25th - should I go?

The last bathing day for the Kumbh is 10 March (Mahashivratri) but coming to Allahabad on the 25th. Feb which happens to be one of the last bathing dates will be quite tough.

The evening flight operating out of the city is quite unreliable especially for people who have further connections. Flights operating out of Varanasi are reliable & sure.

Mentioned in this post
Allahabad
Allahabad
Varanasi
Varanasi
Varanasi District, India
NCR
Level Contributor
30 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kumbh Mela last day Feb 25th - should I go?

I would suggest not to travel to Allahabad on any of the bathing days specially if there is a flight on the same day.

Allahabad does not have a civilian airport it uses Indian Air Force station.. Flights are quite unreliable so its better to connect from Varanasi.

Mentioned in this post
Allahabad
Allahabad
Varanasi
Varanasi
Varanasi District, India
Varanasi
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Kumbh Mela last day Feb 25th - should I go?

Hi Skiold,

Don't take chance to take flight from Allahabad. If you want to be on the last bathing date in Allahabad take ur flight from Varanasi only. You can get evening flights at 19:30 hrs from Varanasi.

Hiring a car from Varanasi would be most convenient for you.

Mentioned in this post
Allahabad
Allahabad
Varanasi
Varanasi
Varanasi District, India
Allahabad, India
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kumbh Mela last day Feb 25th - should I go?

Goto Allahabad a day in advance and take the holy dip in the ganges, see some beautiful temples and U.P. Culture can also visit Khusroo Bagh and Company Garden.

Mentioned in this post
Allahabad
Allahabad