We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time needed for trip to rice terraces

spain
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How much time needed for trip to rice terraces

Hello, I'm planning to visit Guilin, Yangshuo and rice terraces in late february/early march, and, i would like to ask few questions about visit to rice terraces, if that's ok:

-can the visit be done in one day (rice terraces area only)? We are two 35-something persons, reasonably fit.

-If not, what can be seen in one day? I'm more interested in taking photos.

-We are planning to go there from Guilin. Information about transport is surprisingly vague (at least for me). What types of buses can i take. I've read that i can take privately owned bus directly to Dazhai. Is this the type of "trip" where we stop at every shop?

Can someone please break it down for me in terms of easiest transportation and departure/arrival times?

After return from Dazhai, I'm planing to take train to Liuzhou at 16:21. If we start our trip early morning, how much visit time do we get if we want to catch that train?

- If all of this was already posted somewhere, can you please point me in right direction?

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Guilin
Guilin
Guangxi, China
Yangshuo County
Yangshuo County
Guangxi, China
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
10,983 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much time needed for trip to rice terraces

This might give you some idea on transport and time frames for hiking; it seems pretty accurate.

visitourchina.com/guide/dragon_s_backbone_ri…

Note: I am not an agent, have no connection with this company, and do not suggest taking any tours.

For a minimal visit, ideally you'd leave Guilin first thing in morning of Day 1, get to Terraces in time for lunch and rest of day hiking, and overnight. Then catch the sunrise and some more hiking, and leave late morning to get back to Guilin by mid-afternoon. Keep in mind that late Feb/early March, daylight duration isn't all that long: maybe count on 07:00-17:00.

You didn't mention how much overall time you have in this area, but normally I don't suggest trying to do both Rice Terraces and Yangshuo unless you have 4 full days (not including travel in/out of region). Guilin city itself is expendable, if necessary use only as a transport nexus. Terraces and Yangshuo are in opposite directions from Guilin city.

Make sure you are clear about the likely conditions/appearance of the terraces area, before you commit to going up there.

Edited: 9:55 pm, September 08, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Guilin
Guilin
Guangxi, China
Yangshuo County
Yangshuo County
Guangxi, China
spain
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much time needed for trip to rice terraces

Thank you for advice. after some deliberation, i decided to stay at Dazhai or Ping'an for one or two nights. This new plan has more 'or' than it should have, but at least it is not daytrip anymore :) Anyway, thanks for help.

tantouzhai
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How much time needed for trip to rice terraces

Two days in the rice terraces are better. Tian Ranju Inn's website:www.tianranju.info

London, United...
Level Contributor
205 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much time needed for trip to rice terraces

If i have 4 days is 2 days enough in terraces and then go to yangshuo or keep it all for longsheng and the reed flute caves? and guilin?

tantouzhai
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How much time needed for trip to rice terraces

2Days enough in terraces ,another 2days in Yangshuo,silver caves better than reed flute caves

Mentioned in this post
Yangshuo County
Yangshuo County
Guangxi, China
6. Re: How much time needed for trip to rice terraces

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 31, 2015