We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours to National Parks Ischigualasto & Talampaya

Australia
5 posts
Save Topic
Tours to National Parks Ischigualasto & Talampaya

Hello

Does anyone have any experience in taking tours to National Parks Ischigualasto & Talampaya from San Augustin del Valle Fertil? Is it possible to hire a guide and car to take you to each National Park on separate days to spend a whole day at each place?

Can you take a normal car into Nat Pk Talampaya? or do you need to get into a truck run by the rangers at Nat Pk Talampaya?

Many thanks for any information.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours to National Parks Ischigualasto & Talampaya

Not sure about San Agustín del Valle Fértil, since I stayed in a smaller town, closer to Talampaya, called Pagancillo, but I guess you can hire a car with a driver.

That being said, you can’t enter Talampaya National Park with your car. I mean, not beyond the parking lot. They will provide the guides for any tour you are interested in. Some of them are walking tours/hikes and some others require bikes or trucks. In any case, they will provide the guides and the bikes or trucks.

IIRC, it’s different in Ischigualasto: you need a car to make the tour, but a park guide goes with you in your car.

IMHO, a whole day for Ischigualasto will be too much. I’m not sure how long the trip from Valle Fértil to Ischigualasto is, but I’d say half a day will be enough. If I had two whole days, I’d dedicate half to Ischigualasto and one and a half to Talampaya. At the latter I chose the walking/hiking tours instead of sitting in a truck, since I’m more a “walking person”: Quebrada Don Eduardo, Cañón del Arco Iris and Ciudad Perdida. The last one was my least favourite, but I thoroughly enjoyed the others. All of them are half day. Can’t comment on the truck and bike tours.

Hope this helps. Please don't hesitate to post further questions.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours to National Parks Ischigualasto & Talampaya

Just in case I didn't make myself clear about this, don't bother trying to hire a guide in Valle Fértil or anywhere else, since I don't think they will admitted at the parks. Part of their business is providing the guides, so you will need transportation only.

Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours to National Parks Ischigualasto & Talampaya

Thank you very much for your quick response.

Did you hire a car or take your own car to the National Parks?

Is it possible to hire English speaking guides at National Park Ischigualasto and Talampaya? Our Spanish is very limited.

At National Park Ischigualasto, is one guide hired per a convoy of cars or one guide hired per car?

Do they have enough guides to meet the demand? or do you have to be there very early? Do you have to book any guides before you arrive at either Ischigualasto or Talampaya?

The walks that you did at Nat Pk Talampaya - were they very strenous? Could you do 2 walks in one day?

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tours to National Parks Ischigualasto & Talampaya

Did you hire a car or take your own car to the National Parks?

Neither of those. We were a group and we were using a bus.

Is it possible to hire English speaking guides at National Park Ischigualasto and Talampaya? Our Spanish is very limited.

I don't know. My native language is Spanish, so I didn't pay any attention to that. The websites (www.talampaya.com and www.ischigualasto.org) have no info about that.

At National Park Ischigualasto, is one guide hired per a convoy of cars or one guide hired per car?

I think it's one per convoy. The guide service is included in the admission fee.

Do they have enough guides to meet the demand? or do you have to be there very early?

Not sure. As I said, we were a group and we had someone to make the arrangements. But the Talampaya website says there's one tour every hour, so I'd say there are many guides.

Do you have to book any guides before you arrive at either Ischigualasto or Talampaya?

I don't think so, you make the arrangements at the entrance of the parks. But I'm not sure, since -as I said- someone else was taking care of that.

The walks that you did at Nat Pk Talampaya - were they very strenous?

Not at all.

Could you do 2 walks in one day?

Yes, I did Quebrada Don Eduardo in the morning and Ciudad Perdida in the afternoon.

Hope this helps. Sorry I can't provide more accurate info.

Tarrytown, New York
Level Contributor
65 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tours to National Parks Ischigualasto & Talampaya

We did both parks in one day, started very early. We were there in 2006, at that time, the only guided tours were in Spanish and we don't speak any. We had a private guide with us, who translated a bit, but really, you are there for the scenery. At one park, you go in their vehicles, in the other, you follow in your own (Valley of the Moon), Both parks are amazing, if you're into photography, you will be amazed. That being said, you don't really need to speak Spanish to enjoy them :)

bracknell
Level Contributor
190 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tours to National Parks Ischigualasto & Talampaya

We visited from Villa Union last November, we used Runacay Services. We had a car (drove down from Salta), but fancied a break from driving and also thought that an experienced guide was a good investment.

This is their web address:- www.runacay.com/eng/index.asp. They have very excellent english/french/spanish speakers. They offer group services which as you are Valle Fertil is a probably a waste of time but maybe they could privately guide you. I can honestly say the service we had was really special.

Runacay also have a license to take people into Talampaya on guided walk/hike; this is really a very special way to get to see the park, otherwise it is standard trips via coach with the park guides.

Both the drive through in Ischigualasto & Talampaya can be done in 1 day, the down side of doing them in 1 day is that you visit one of the parks in baking heat, I would recommend to visit them on consecutive days if you have the time.

If you have time can I also recommend a day trip up to Laguna Brava (with guide - 4x4 trip only).

Good luck & enjoy La Rioja/San Juan, these areas are shamefully ignored by the vast majority of travelers to Argentina.

7. Re: Tours to National Parks Ischigualasto & Talampaya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, September 13, 2010
Get answers to your questions about San Agustin del Valle...