We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Morning or afternoon safari?

London, United...
Level Contributor
314 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Morning or afternoon safari?

We are planning to visit Ranthambore as part of our Golden Triangle tour in mid October. Which safari has the better chance of seeing tigers, if any? We are not early morning people and would prefer the afternoon safari.

Also what is the temperature like at that time of year?

Our tour operator, who has been recommended by a friend, has said that he will book the safari in advance for us through our hotel, but if you go on the official website, none are available, does that mean that they have all been pre-purchased by the hotels?

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Morning or afternoon safari?

I'm just going to guess that it's too early on the official website to book the safari for October and that's why it's not showing up, though I could be totally wrong about that. Do you know what day will you be there? We will be there around Oct 21st! :)

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
585 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Morning or afternoon safari?

Well its taking a chance. People have sighted Tigers in the morning as well as noon. So it doesn't really matter.

Weather will be slightly towards the hot side in day time. Mornings and evenings will be pleasant. And yes safaris do need to be booked early. The website may not have opened bookings and its better to book it through your agent. If possible do ask for a Jeep as against the open truck.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
19 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Morning or afternoon safari?

There is absolutely no pattern prescribed for sightings. It is a matter of luck and if the afternoon is yours the day you are on the safari, a sighting is assured.

I have generally been lucky doing afternoon safari and durin sunset, near water bodies. This is the best point to get a sighting.

Cheers and good luck.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Morning or afternoon safari?

I would recommend you to go for morning safari (timings : 7 am to 10.30 am) and afternoon safari should be too hot(as it is between 2.30 pm to 6 pm) as summer temperatures in Ranthambore can cross 45 degrees C in the daytime. I would recommend you to visit areas around the Rajbagh Talao as they are also prime tiger spotting areas due to the kind of forest and it's accessibility to water sources.

P.S. I would recommend you to make your safari bookings through some reputed tour operator as they can get you the best arrangements for the safari.

5. Re: Morning or afternoon safari?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, February 23, 2013