We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taishan from Hong Kong

Which Taishan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,166 posts
511 reviews
Save Topic
Taishan from Hong Kong

Would like to go to Taishan from Hong Kong on Thursday 5 December. Starting point is the Sky City Marriott. Don't mind taking bus, ferry, or rail or some combination of the three. Am experienced with getting around in China, including Guangdong, but have not previously been to Taishan/Taicheng.

Caveat is that, unfortunately, I will not be traveling light, and will have one large suitcase plus my carry-on bag. A best case scenario would be finding a cross-border bus at the Hong Kong airport. The fall-back plan if all else fails, would be a bus to Guangzhou and transferring to a Taicheng bus there.

I live much of each year in China and am returning from my annual US visit. This is my "Return to Kunming" trip, but I wanted to detour and visit Taishan along the way if possible. Plan a side trip to the Kaiping Diaolous. Will fly out of Guangzhou (to Kunming) in about a week.

I see a similar question was asked here back in March by someone else and never received an answer. Am still hoping to get some assistance from TripAdvisor members who may have begun following the forum since then, but am also researching the question via other sources.

If I find out something elsewhere, I'll return and post it here. Will also gladly give a report after the trip is done.

Many thanks.

Edited: 10:08 am, November 18, 2013
27 replies to this topic
Guangzhou, China
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taishan from Hong Kong

Looks like there are direct bus between HK and Taishan

trans-island.com.hk/zh/servicedetails.php…

But I cannot find an English version of this very page.

www.trans-island.com.hk/en/service11.php… Maybe you call these number and ask? Or see if any Hong Kongness can find you an English version

Guangzhou, China
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taishan from Hong Kong

Didn't notice you start at HK airport. In the first link, red table, first row is for HK airport. It has departure time and "at least 260 HK$" for adult. Seems the price is twice if start from HK airport.

All bus stop at: 公益、大江群香餅家、水步車站、塔山汽車客運站. The ones highlighted in yellow has an extra stop at 水口車站. You can put the names in google map and see which is closest to your location in Taishan

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,166 posts
511 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taishan from Hong Kong

Thank you @lyoo for that information and for that link. It's exactly what I needed. Appreciate your doing a Chinese language search. I can read 简体字 fairly well, but have trouble with 繁体字。

香港国际机场往台山 at 09:00 will be just right. I'll buy the ticket when I arrive at the airport Thursday night. 260 港币 for a 成人 ticket is not too much. If it costs extra for the convenience of taking the bus from the airport, that's OK.

Just to be absolutely clear, my destination is Taishan in Guangdong Province (Jiangmen Prefecture) not the famous holy mountain in Shandong. In other words, 台山 not 泰山。

非常感谢你的帮助。

Guangzhou, China
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taishan from Hong Kong

lol perfect Chinese writing~

If you can type Chinese, in the future I would recommend you to search China-related infor in Chinese (e.g. 台山至香港 or 台山至香港交通). Usually much easier to find answer than in English.

Safe travel.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,166 posts
511 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taishan from Hong Kong

#4 -- You are right. Searching in Chinese is much better. I need to do that more. But it's my second language, and I'm not all that fluent, so I usually begin by searching in English. I turn to Baidu when Google fails. Thanks again for your kind help.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,166 posts
511 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taishan from Hong Kong

Follow up report: Took the bus from Hong Kong International Airport to Taishan earlier this week.

You buy the ticket at a counter in Terminal 2 which is marked in large letters "Mainland Coach:" or "Mainland Coach Service." Ticket cost 250 RMB.

I caught the 7:00 a.m. departure shuttle and it left on time. This is a van that takes about 7 or 8 people and their luggage to the border. Give your passport and a filled out entry card to the driver. You need to have prearranged your visa.

He drives to the Shenzhen Bay crossing point. You stay in the car while the Hong Kong authorities review your papers and give you permission to exit. Then you enter China a few yards away in a similar fashion. The trip from HKIA to the border crossing took about an hour. The exit and entry formalities took about 10 or 15 minutes. Would have been longer if either set of officials had found a problem.

Then the van delivered us to a point on the China Mainland side where we waited a short while for a large intercity bus. Arrived Taishan main bus station a little before 12 noon. One quick toilet stop was provided along the way after about two hours.

Not complicated to do. Efficient and inexpensive.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,166 posts
511 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taishan from Hong Kong

Even though there apparently isn't much interest in this area now, I'll go ahead and finish at least describing the travel arrangements so they will be available in case someone wants to visit at a later date.

After finishing my time in Taishan and Kaiping, I needed to get to Baiyun Airport in Guangzhou to fly home to Kunming. There is a bus that runs approximately every hour and costs 86 Yuan. Takes 2.5 to 3 hours, depending on traffic.

It doesn't depart from the intercity bus station, and instead leaves from a large travel agency about a block from the Gao Ye Hotel. Address in Chinese for taxi purposes is 抬城平湖路2号。

Tickets can be bought there on the day of travel or the day before. The bus makes one stop in Kaiping along the way. The markings on the bus suggest that it's actually run by the airport.

Here's a link with more: http://www.kgkx.com/en/ShowInfo.asp?ID=59

Edited: 12:42 am, December 10, 2013
London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Taishan from Hong Kong

I am wondering how your trip to Taishan was. I am going to Hong Kong in April and my intention is to visit Taishan, the birthplace of my mother. However I was planning on spending only the day there but it looks like it will be an overnight trip because it takes 4-5 hours.. Where did you stay and when you arrived in Taishan where did the bus stop. Is it safe to travel there by myself and what is there to do. I understand I need a visa. Would it be a 'single' visa as I would be returning to Hong Kong. Does anyone speak English? My chinese is ok but it may be difficult for me to communicate. Any other information would be great

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,166 posts
511 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taishan from Hong Kong

Hello Velda, Taishan was a nice place and I'm glad I went. It definitely needs to be an overnight trip. Actually, if you can, also allow time to visit nearby Kaiping and see the Diaolous as well 开平碉楼.

I stayed at the Gaoye Hotel. Please check the Taishan review section for reviews of the hotel, a nice restaurant I found, and the tourist sites I visited.

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g1152552-Taishan_Gua…

Of course it's safe; did you have some special concern? The bus stopped at the bus station. I took a taxi to my hotel from there. Not much English spoken so far as I could tell. (I didn't try, since I speak Chinese.)

A single-entry visa should be sufficient for your purposes since you will only enter Mainland China one time. Hong Kong does not count.

Edited: 9:22 am, February 27, 2014
London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Taishan from Hong Kong

Thank you for the reply. It was very helpful. Which transportation company did you travel with to get to Taishan and did the bus stop at the Ta Sha Bus Terminal. Did you travel from Hong Kong to Taishan? I heard there are 2 bus stations in Taishan. How far is Gaoye Hotel from the bus station, the cost of the ride and is the location of that hotel in a central area (eg near shopping, restaurants etc) Sorry for the all the questions. I guess it would be useful if i had items written in Chinese in case I have a difficult time communicating with the locals

Reply to: Taishan from Hong Kong
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Taishan