We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best place to stay near santa marta

Which Taganga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
kris9718
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
best place to stay near santa marta

hi, my two friends and I (mid 30s female from USA) are playing to visit santa marta area in august. We wanted to beach, good food, a little nightlife, and to be able to explore the park (but we dont camp out or anything like that!). can anyone recommend the best town to stay in? I was looking at santa marta, and taganga, but worried about some things with safety. Up for any suggestions, thanks. Kristen

Medellin
Level Contributor
3,310 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best place to stay near santa marta

Taganga if you like a dirty beach, hippy culture and / or backpacker life (sort of more a druggy hangout IMO). Worth maybe a half day visit.

Rodadero if you like a more upmarket beach area more frequented by Colombians and still close to Santa Marta (8 mil pesos). It has some great nightlife here on a hot and miss basis depending on the season and night (Escolleras disco is great when it is busy - otherwise a quick trip into Santa Marta). 3 of you - rent an apartment. We do that every time we go.

Santa Marta for better food, closer to the better nightlife, however the beach is not so great.

kris9718
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best place to stay near santa marta

Ok thanks. What site do you use to rent? Do u feel its safe enough in the area for 3 females? I have read some things that make me nervous but we do want to check out the park and minca.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best place to stay near santa marta

Neither Santa Marta nor Rodadero should give you any trouble with respect to security. Stay clear of the port region of Santa Marta, though. As Bicks pointed out: Forget Taganga, definitively the dirtiest piece of beach I have seen in a long time.

Rodadero has more hotels to chose from than Sta Marta.

BTW: Minca seems a bit overrated, there are many places in Colombia which are so much more worthwhile visiting

Medellin
Level Contributor
3,310 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best place to stay near santa marta

We always stay in Rodadero and usually just find a place when we get there - lots of vendors on the street with signs who take you too apartment buildings. You can find rock bottom to luxury. We have stayed many times in Edificio San Carlos (east side). It is mid range and you can find 1, 2 or 3 bedrooms with sea views. It has a pool and is 2 minutes form the beach and very safe. It is not luxury though - a sort of older place that is well maintained with apartments that have most things you need. The Portaria will be able to advise what is available.

Of course you may not be comfortable doing it that way, so look for places where you can book prior or stay in a hotel first.

Safety - in Rodadero you will be very safe generally. Use common sense - up the far end of the beach are a few streets that are less well lit, and with a few shady characters sometimes trying to sell stuff; I have no problems there at night but I would not walk there with my wife very late if she was with me (doubt you would go up that far anyway). Just be careful with your stuff on the beach if it is crowded, if you leave your stuff unattended it will ''walk''. I left my empty, cheap bag once under my towel and swam a few metres away. Must have turned my back for a very short time but it was gone.

In Santa Marta the main areas are generally OK. Be careful as women walking out of the main disco areas late at night - you would feel the vide anyway and not go further. Taxis are cheap - take advantage of that. You will generally not have any problems in Colombia if you are sensible and not getting involved in Hookers or dugs. Enjoy your time and don't let the internet stories scare you - just use your common sense.

Park Tayrona is one of my Fav places in Colombia. You can go yourself by bus, or just book a tour where they will pick you up, take you in the park guide you as a group and take you back. Have done it both ways, and each has its merits If you are short on time, just do the day tour with everything organized.

Minca is OK; we usually go for an afternoon just by taxi, around 30 mil pesos. Some great views on the way and you can swim in the river if you want.

5. Re: best place to stay near santa marta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, June 13, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Taganga