We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking in Cabanas

yorkshire
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
walking in Cabanas

This summer will be our first visit to Cabanas,We prefer not to hire a car as we like walking and using public transport,Can you walk to Tavira from Cabanas without using main roads? Also do you think it would be easy to get around using buses and trains, along the coast.Thankyou.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,939 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: walking in Cabanas

You can walk between Tavira and Cabanas by way of the Ecovia bike and footpath. I did just that on Tuesday. It took me just over an hour but I did go the wrong way once. The path does twist this way and that but there were a lot of people using it on Tuesday so you won't get lost any more than I did!

The signs is pretty good but across the marshes and through the salt pans you need to keep an eye out for yellow arrows and also short posts which are grey with a yellow top. The walk is flat.

The Ecovia goes both sides of Cabanas so you can walk both directions nice and easily. Take some water etc as the path doesn't go past anywhere to stop for a drink until you get to Tavira.

There's a website here, only in Portuguese but easy enough to work out.

http://www.ecoviasalgarve.org/

Cabanas has a reasonable bus service on weekdays to and from Tavira but only three buses on Saturdays and none at all on Sundays and holidays. I walked from Tavira to Cabanas and a bit beyond and then walked back to little railway halt at Conceição, which has trains about every 2 hours on the coastal line. It's not much more than 12 - 13 minutes walk from the village of Cabanas, Cabanas Park and even closer to several of the newer resorts.

Bus times for Cabanas and Tavira area general are on my website at www.algarvebus.info/029.htm

The main coastal bus route which passes through Conceição is at www.algarvebus.info/015.htm

and the train times are at

www.algarvebus.info/006.htm

Trains are cheaper and faster than the buses for journeys along the coast.

I hope that helps and enjoy your trip.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: walking in Cabanas

Thankyou for all the information,Looking forward to our visit

Tavira, Portugal
Level Contributor
455 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: walking in Cabanas

More about the Ecovia in this area here:

movingtoportugal.org/2010/…

B

woking
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: walking in Cabanas

I am planning a trip to Cabanas with two young children. I have read elsewhere on the net that there are many dogs roaming the streets - is this true! I don't fancy walking with little ones with stray animals everywhere, lol! Thanks.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: walking in Cabanas

Thanks for such a detailed post about walking from Tavira to Cabanas. I was just in that area and didn't realize you could do that! My North American mindset about private property took hold I guess. Anyhow, I've copied it so I have all the details for when I'm back in April.

Level Contributor
40 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: walking in Cabanas

I have stayed twice during past winters in Cabanas de Tavira and I do not recall seeing numerous dogs roaming the streets. I recently visited on 4 different days to sit on the waterfront for half an hour and I saw only one dog asleep on a pavement. Out in the countryside almost every house seems to have at least one dog.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,939 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: walking in Cabanas

Agreed. Out in the countryside dogs are frequently a problem. They are often not tethered and will rush out of the yard and chase you down the road if you have the temerity to cycle or walk past. That makes me pedal a bit harder when on my bike I can tell you.

Tavira, Portugal
Level Contributor
455 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: walking in Cabanas

I hate to scaremonger but I feel I should warn you if you are concerned...my wife has actually stopped running between Cabanas and Tavira on the Ecovia route after being chased by a couple of dogs one morning near the sewage works. They backed off when she shouted at them but they did give her a bit of a scare!

B

www.movingtoportugal.org

loule
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: walking in Cabanas

B. how scary for your wife.

This should be reported, as in any country, to the local Junta da Freguesia (on the Cabanas sea front) or the GNR, Tavira Camara or Tavira Tourist Office.

There are strict modern laws as to the behaviour of dogs and their owners and the matter will be taken quite seriously. If they are stray dogs they will be rounded up. If not, the owners will get a visit from the GNR to have their responsibilities explained to them.

Crolly, Ireland
Level Contributor
266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: walking in Cabanas

leavinguk - Eight months later is your wife still avoiding the Ecovia or just stopped running through it. I had planned to cycle it when I visit in Feb next but know that dogs usually love cyclists as much as they like runners.

Get answers to your questions about Cabanas