We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which hotel to choose?

Lyme Regis , Dorset
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
which hotel to choose?

Hi everyone just after some advice from you all regarding hotel choice in Nidri - we like to stay in a small hotel or appartment complex tucked away from the main area ( with pool would be nice ) we have been looking at all the forum comments and think we have narrowed it down to 2 hotels-but because this will be our first trip to Lefkas and Nidri we thought we would ask you all for your thoughts?

The most important thing for us is the view and we look for a hotel with a garden to relax in and it would be nice to have pool -we like the hotel rooms to be of a very good standard ( I know this is not usual in greece ) but I am happy to pay a little more for this ( cant afford the private villa prices here ) we like the look of the interior of The Orion Suites with Sunvil but the look of the buildings has put us off !! look abit like a block to me.

We like the sound of the Delphini hotel but see it has no pool we wondered if you could use any nearby pool and I e-mailed to ask but have had no reply as yet -so if anyone here can answer that would be great !! really like the setting of this Hotel but we are not sure how quiet it is and if no pool - does the setting make up for this ? really need to sell this idea to other half as he likes a pool

to lounge around.

We would Like to thank you all for your replys in advance as I have limited use of computer so may not be able to answer for a while and any imput is great -we are not going till next year (we like to book early for good choice-as the best places seem to book up fast ) Many Thanks again.

Just a few places we have decided are not for us listed below.

1. Avra Beach.

2.Armonia Hotel

3.Lefko Hotel.

4.Gregory Hotel.

5.Palm Tree Hotel.

6.Sapho apartments.

7.Boursalino studios ( too basic)

8.Eva Beach.

Not sure about Hotel George heard good things and bad things

would really not like to be told we could not drink our own water around pool area-as stated on forum-never had that problem before!!

Looking forward to your replys.

Lyn.

staffordshire
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which hotel to choose?

Hi lyn , having been to nidri 6 times now the best hotel is orion suites by far the old block at the front have the seaviews but the new block thats behind them you might get a side sea view the rooms are out of this world brand new last year big rooms never seen rooms like that in greece very posh you would have to make sure that you asked for the back block, the rooms at the front are fine just the norm for greece well just a little bit better but the views are great. You said no to eva beach is it because no pool if thats the case its right next to the oroin suites and you can use their pool not their sunbeds though they are for their guests so that there is enought to go round but no need to as you are right on the beach,last two times we stayed at the belair rooms are basci but fine but we always sunbath in front of the orion on the beach and use their bar cant beat them views, As for the delphini never been in but you are not far from the orion so could still usr their pool, another hotel thats nice is palmyra hotel with a nice pool rooms of good standard view of pool or montains. But if you want best rooms and beach front nice and quite at night then its orion for me . Hope this helps karen.

staffordshire
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which hotel to choose?

O sorry the george not been in the rooms but have been by there pool to sunbath nice pool very quite, but never fancied staying there (dont no why thats just me)

Nantwich, United...
Destination Expert
for Lefkada
Level Contributor
706 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which hotel to choose?

read the reviews and look at the number 1 hotel, you will not get any better than there. Has its own pool - 50 metres across the road to the beach, the sands is the choice to make. You will find it in the Olympic brochure.

Whatever hotel you stay at, you would be expected to buy water from the hotel if you are by the pool, the hotel proprietor would get into very serious trouble with the tax authorities who would automatically fine the hotel owner very heavily.

It may sound a little strange to you but this is the way of things in greece,Remember that anyone can go to any hotel and use their pool facilities.

Lyme Regis , Dorset
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: which hotel to choose?

Hi

Many thanks for your advice on what hotel to choose- hope it's ok to ask you a few more questions on Orion hotel/suites?I see from the Sunvil brochure the hotel is in it's own gardens- did you find them well maintained? is there somewhere to sit in them? and if we are unable to get a pool/sea view room ( have been told we can't book a specific room although they will try to do so but it is on a first come basis) in your opinion do you think the views from the back are nice? hope you don't mind me asking and I understand it would be your opinio-,but as you have been many times it would be nice for your imput as it will be our wedding anniversary when we are there and i would just like to make sure this hotel is right for us!!!!

Many thanks again

Lyn

staffordshire
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which hotel to choose?

Hi lyn , the orion have not really got gardens that you can sit in just lawn and the owner have a veggie patch most pepole sit on the decks in front of the pool for the view out to the sea , what gardens there is they are maintained good. As for the rooms the views from the back apartments are fine one side the views i think will be the montains other side which is the entrance the view is opp to the hotel eva beach but it is not like looking at a old apartment block its in a nice lane with flowers and shrubs and the sea at the end of the little lane . my self i would want to stay in the new block at the back if you are on the lane side you will have a part sea view and rooms are beautifull, you will find them hard to beat in greece more like a top 5 star hotel room thats only the new block. I thought the new block was for the english sunvill and old block at the front was swedish booked , To vic the sands hotel is fine but lyn has asked for upmarket rooms and sands are very basic, where as the orion is what they have asked for. PS i have the email of the orion if this helps. Roulasun@yahoo.gr i will send you there phone number in a message to you hope this helps karen, need any more help just ask .

Nantwich, United...
Destination Expert
for Lefkada
Level Contributor
706 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which hotel to choose?

Mort is quite right with regard to the quality of the rooms, as ever you get what you pay for, and obviously the cost of holiday reflects this.

Lyme Regis , Dorset
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: which hotel to choose?

hi karen

I really want to thankyou for all your help and advice-went out today and have booked the Orion Suites ( hopefully -we will because we are early- get the room we like) but if we only get a room at back I now know thanks to your knowledge that will be nice too- the interior of these rooms is so nice that as soon as I saw them- I knew this was right for us ( use to not worry too much about this when we were younger) the older you get comfort plays a bigger role in choosing where you stay and we like to spend more time in a room then maybe other people,and returning at night will be so nice here!!!

So holiday is booked-thanks again to everyone on this lovley forum it will seem a long time till next June ( out on the 2-16th ) but I will dip in and out till then and will look forward to reading all the interesting questions that will keep me going meanwhile-and of course I am so lucky to have my very own beach within walking distance till then lets hope the sun shines alot this year!!

Goodbye from sunny Dorset.

Lyn

staffordshire
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which hotel to choose?

Glad to be of help i always turn to trip advisers when going some where i have not been befor its a great help. You have made the right choice best place to stay in the whole of nidri you will love it, in the mean time enjoy the summer on your beach (lucky you) we are off to kos in june for some sun cant wait. All the best karen.

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which hotel to choose?

Hi Lyn

My husband and I have been holidaying in Nidri since 1993! We have stayed in most of the accommodation on the beach .The rooms at the Orion are the best in Nidri but the front block where we stayed has now been taken over by another company (not English). and as you have booked Sunvil have the rooms in the block behind.

We now travel independently to a lovely family hotel called Nydrion beach.We pay a little more usually due to the flights but have free sunbeds and air con and a very nice breakfast .

We have an excellent room with modern furnishings and bathroom The views over the bay and behind to the mountains are excellent .There is a lovely little snack bar that fronts onto the beach .No pool but the beach is on the doorstep.The family are very kind ,friendly and helpful and organise our taxi to and from the airport ,excellent Greek hospitality!! We fly out again in a week,carn't wait.

Liz.

this hotel we have found is the best by far in Nidri

We cannot wait for our return in a couple of weeks.

Edited: 4:25 pm, August 16, 2012
London, England...
Level Contributor
14 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: which hotel to choose?

Hi can anyone tell me whether I can book orion suites direct as I do not need flights?

Thanks!

Get answers to your questions about Nidri
Recent Conversations