We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early morning -Ashdod to dead sea to Jerusalem to Ashdod - l

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
62 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Early morning -Ashdod to dead sea to Jerusalem to Ashdod - l

Hello

My husband and I would like to go to Jerusalem and also dead sea from Ashdod. Our ship docks early morning on a Monday and does not leave until Tuesday evening. We only want to do one long day as ships itinery means we are busy and would be nice to rest a little too.

I have thought of doing tour (not private as too expensive), however due to wanting to stay and have dinner in Jerusalem they don't necessarily meet our needs. Have also thought about going by bus, not sure whether there is a bus from Ashdod to dead sea, catching a bus or taxi to Jerusalem, doing a tour when in Jerusalem, including Armenian quarter (my husbands grandfather was Armenian), having dinner - recommendations would be great please, and then catching bus or taxi back to Ashdod.

I have also read on other posts that it can be difficult getting back to ship from the port???

Would be grateful for any help anyone can give us please. Thanks.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,876 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Early morning -Ashdod to dead sea to Jerusalem to Ashdod - l

There is no direct bus from Ashdod to the Dead Sea. If you are doing it by public transport - which will make a killer of a day if you want to do a tour of Jerusalem as well - you need to take a bus from Ashdod (having got yourself first of all to the central bus station in Ashdod) to Jerusalem, then another bus from there to the Dead Sea.

You can see bus timetables at www.egged.co.il/eng.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,405 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early morning -Ashdod to dead sea to Jerusalem to Ashdod - l

I understand you want to squeeze as much as possible into one day, but this is IMHO too much - you will spend most of the day on buses and trying to get your schedule to meet bus schedules. If you go to the Dead Sea first, you probably won't get there till 11 am or so - then have a brief dip and get back to Jerusalem around 2 pm. That doesn't leave you much time to see anything in Jerusalem.

As far as getting from the ship to the Ashdod bus station or the reverse - some cruises have a shuttle bus that runs from the dock to the bus station. There is a charge for this bus, which differs from the free shuttle that runs to the dock entrance.

Your other option is to take a taxi between the port and the bus station and then the shuttle to get to the ship.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early morning -Ashdod to dead sea to Jerusalem to Ashdod - l

If you have only one day, I would suggest you spend it in Jerusalem. You can do a walking tour (they are about 3 hours long) of the Old City, there is a access to some of the buildings in the Armenian quarter in mid afternoon 3:00pm. See this link

www.seetheholyland.net/church-of-st-james/

You would then have time for some shopping and exploring on your own before dinner.

If you go by public transit and take the walking tour, this is not expensive at all but to save time, it would be easier to take a taxi both ways.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,376 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early morning -Ashdod to dead sea to Jerusalem to Ashdod - l

The OP has two days : "Our ship docks early morning on a Monday and does not leave until Tuesday evening."

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,887 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early morning -Ashdod to dead sea to Jerusalem to Ashdod - l

You can dine at one of the Armenian restaurants of the Old City of Jerusalem. There are two, very near each other on the right when you enter the Jaffa Gate. One called The Armeinan Tavern and the other Bulghourji.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,405 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Early morning -Ashdod to dead sea to Jerusalem to Ashdod - l

Yes, the OP has two days but has already said that they want to spend one of them relaxing on board, which makes it impossible to do all they want to do in Israel.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Early morning -Ashdod to dead sea to Jerusalem to Ashdod - l

The Armenian Restaurant, Bulghourji, is so much better when it comes to the food than the Armenian Tavern. Though you may be tempted by the very cool cellar like environment at the Tavern, the food rarely lives up to expectation.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,711 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Early morning -Ashdod to dead sea to Jerusalem to Ashdod - l

May I suggest splurging on a private guide/driver who can take you to both the Dead Sea and Jerusalem. While you will not have much time in either place, at least you will have received some explanations of the landscape, settlements, people of Israel, history, wildlife, etc and not just spent 7 hours of your 12 hour day on public transportation looking out the windows and saying to yourself "wonder what that is".

Chana

Israel

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Early morning -Ashdod to dead sea to Jerusalem to Ashdod - l

I have to agree with Chana. Hiring a private tour guide will prove to you, after those lovely two days, a must.

A suggested itinerary:

Monday morning+evening: Jerusalem (+ sleepover at Jerusalem)

Tuesday morning: Jerusalem

Tuesday noon: Dead Sea

Amos.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Early morning -Ashdod to dead sea to Jerusalem to Ashdod - l

The Op had already thought of taking a private guide but found it too expensive. Private guiding, while really a great option, is very expensive, especially for one or two people.

She can definitely do a one day trip on her own and do a Jerusalem group walking tour

http://www.newjerusalemtours.com/

http://zionwt.dpages.co.il/apage/62770.php

For the Sandeman tours "Free' does not actually mean free, as in, no money. It means you tip the guide what you think the tour is worth. A 3 hour tour with Zion tours is about $30, it would be reasonable to tip a guide who is only working for tips at least $20 per person.This is a fraction of hiring a guide but still gets a guided tour. Paying for the tour ensures you are in a limited size group and you don't worry about the tipping aspect so much (a small tip is still appropriate but not required).

In one day it is a waste of time to get to the Dead Sea and Jerusalem. You won't regret spending the day in one of the most amazing cities in the world.