We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Access for elderly lady - any advice helps!

sydney
Level Contributor
27 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Access for elderly lady - any advice helps!

Hi,

I am looking at travelling with my elderly mum. She can walk on flat ground but cannot lift her legs or take the stairs. I have taken her to Amed before and she loved it but I was hoping to introduce her to something new.

We are considering Lembongan island. Does anyone know a ferry would be suitable for her? I have tried emailing Rocky cruises but have not heard back from them. From what I see though, this transfer from Sanur may be on too small of a boat and not right for her. We had also looked at Lombok but I was worried about the same thing – the ferry service and if we flew, the horse and cart transport.

Any suggestions or advice would be wonderful!

Thank you!

9 replies to this topic
Darwin
Level Contributor
342 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Access for elderly lady - any advice helps!

I am pretty sure that the ferries all leave and drop off on the beach. I would say this would not be suitable for the elderly or somebody with mobility issues. There may be some that leave from a jetty, but my experience with ferries in Bali tells me that it would be a large step on to the boat and you need to be fairly nimble. That being said, I am sure the locals would help as much as possible and some of the larger services might have

some sort of plan for helping people with mobility issues.

Maybe another possibility would be to either fly somewhere like Lombok, or go to the North of Bali.

sydney
Level Contributor
27 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Access for elderly lady - any advice helps!

Thank you so much for your fast response! From what I have heard, Lombok has a horse and cart service if catching a ferry (which rules that out) but perhaps flying could be a good option. By any chance, can you recommend somewhere in Bali that is quiet, perhaps like Amed without the long drive?

Thanks again!

australia
Level Contributor
887 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Access for elderly lady - any advice helps!

My husband is blind and has mobility problems and I have been advised Sanur is going to be good for him. There is a path along the beach which is flat so he doesn't have to walk on sand although he can't walk far. I did a lot of research and there are a few hotels close to everything that have separate showers and pools with steps to walk into rather ladders, some do have disability rooms. Hope this helps

Mt Martha, Australia
Level Contributor
102 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Access for elderly lady - any advice helps!

Have read the other replies and can comment on Sanur. The beach path is very good. I stay at the Mercure and the bathrooms have walk in showers and the pools have steps not stairs. Can't comment on any other hotels in Sanur. Many people find the Mercure a bit isolated but there are many restaurants nearby. Whatever you choose have a wonderful time with your Mum.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Access for elderly lady - any advice helps!

My immediate thought was Sanur.. we stayed at Respati right on the beach in October. There is one step down from the restaurant onto the beach path. The path is in good repair and mostly flat. There was a frail elderly lady staying there on her own at the time, I got the feeling she was a return guest. The staff treatment of her was amazing. She used a walker in the resort, and had a ground floor room. I saw her on the beach a few times, the staff may have carried her down to the beach chairs. I have also seen motorized chairs/gophers. if you google mobility aids in Sanur you might be able to find out.

Nusa Lembongan...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Access for elderly lady - any advice helps!

Hello there,

The local speed boat companies (Rocky, Sccot, Sugriwa, etc ...) are used to transport elderlies (tourist or local) and help them to get from the beach to the boat and from the boat to the beach.

Once on the boat, people need to remain seated. If your mother can seat easily on any mini van like car it should not be a problem.

Thus, I don't thing getting on the island from Sanur would be a big concern.

sydney
Level Contributor
27 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Access for elderly lady - any advice helps!

Wow! Thanks everybody for your wonderful advice!

queenscliff vic
Level Contributor
55 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Access for elderly lady - any advice helps!

have been on both the rocky & scoot, the staff were fantastic in helping people on & off the boat, you have to wade into the water on both sanur & nusa lembongan about up to you knees, you take your shoes off before you get on the boat & place them in a basket.when you get to n/lembongan you hop up into the back of a small truck, they put a coca cola grate down for you to get up in the truck, seats down the side. l have a few issues with my knees but l managed fine. they then drive you to where you are staying. the beach walk at sanur is lovely. heaps of places to eat & they don't rip you off. we have booked a week at besakih resort hotel in may, right on the beach.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Access for elderly lady - any advice helps!

I agree the Besakih would be suitable, I have seen a good number of more mature people with mobility aids there. They have a lovely part shady pool which is easy to access

Reply to: Access for elderly lady - any advice helps!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nusa Lembongan