We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lombok or Lembongan

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Lombok or Lembongan

Hello

I hope you Bali lovers out there can give me some advise, My partner and I late 50s are lucky enough to be in Bali next year from mid March to first week in June, we are spend a week at Candidas, still looking at hotels, six in Sanur booked and two at Legian booked. We would like to try one of the islands for about week, we have heard Gilies is more for the younger crowd, so would love some feed back on Lombok or Lembongan. Would it be easier to travel from Candidasa or Sanur. Though I have been to Bali seven times have never gone over to the islands. Thank you

12 replies to this topic
sydney
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lombok or Lembongan

I can say that Lembongan is great. I haven't gone to Lombok.

A quick boat trip across to the Lembongan island and you are there. Usually the boat company will pick you up from local areas and bring you to Sanur. It is a very lay back island. I loved the feel of the island and will be going back next year. Food was amazing good which did surprise up being an island off the main land.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lombok or Lembongan

Thanks Kim, where did you stay there and how long was the boat trip across.

Level Contributor
394 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lombok or Lembongan

Hi Rhonda - lucky you to be in that part of Indonesia for so long next year . I definitely recommend that you visit Lombok while you are there. You actually have plenty of time to go to Lembongan as well as Lombok but if you are committed to other places and are deciding between these two then try Lombok. If you have a week there, I would suggest that you split your time between Senggigi and Kuta. Search the Lombok forum as there is plenty of information there and ask any questions that you may have. Lombok is lovely and well worth the trip.

noosa
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lombok or Lembongan

Hi there - Alam Asmara for Candidasa is superb - we never go anywhere twice but this place we cant help but go back.

I would forget about Lombok and Lembongan and go to the Gili Islands - Gili Air is our favourite - not too quiet and not to "party". We went to Gili T for the day and that was enough. We are in our 50's and walk, cycle, surf all day. II dont know why you were told Gili Islands were for the youger people - maybe Gili T because it is full of loud /drunk backpackers!. Nusa Lembongan ws also one of our favourites as sit has all you need.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3,463 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lombok or Lembongan

Quick bit of geography. Lembongan is a small island off the coast of Bali. Lombok is a large island of similar size to Bali with it's own unique culture. Lombok also has small islands off the coast, called gilis. 3 of the well known gilis in nw lombok are popularly known as "the gilis", and they are part of lombok.

if you are looking for somewhere a bit different to Bali, I recommend Lombok. There are so many places to go there, from the gilis, to beautiful southern white sand beaches. There are some excellent hotels and places to suit most budgets. If you want a Bali beach type place then head over to Lembongan which is a laid back surfie type place mostly

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lombok or Lembongan

Hi Rhonda, you lucky duck! With all that time available I'd definitely do both islands. As previous said, Lembongan is a small island (you can see most of it in a day) only 20-30 minutes by fast boat from Sanur. We love it and generally stay 5 nights. It's a very relaxed little island, you can swim, cycle, snorkel, surf, fish or just laze away the day doing nothing. There are more and more good restaurants popping up, accomodation can be high end or cheap and cheerful. Can't comment on Lombok as we don't get there until January however from the research I've done, there will be plenty to see and do including a short side trip to Gili Air to break up our 9 days. Good luck with your planning.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lombok or Lembongan

Hi

Thank you everyone for your information, I would live to try a couple of different locations but the only reason I am leaning towards Lembongan is that I get really sea sick and it's such a quick boat trip over.

Rhonda

Level Contributor
394 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lombok or Lembongan

Hi again Rhonda, if it is the idea of a longer boat trip that is putting you off Lombok then you should consider flying. We have always flown from Bali to Lombok. It is a very short trip and if you book an early flight, you could be there to enjoy lunch on your first day in Lombok.

Beachmere, Australia
Destination Expert
for Ubud
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lombok or Lembongan

Yes, definitely fly to Lombok, only 20 minutes in the air. Then why don't you hire a self drive car and circumnavigate the island for a week? The traffic is very quiet compared to Bali and if you have a good map (recommend Nelles) there is so much to see and do. You will discover hidden gems every step of the way.

You would need an International Drivers' Licence.

You also have plenty of time to pop across to Nusa Lembongan from Bali for a few days.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lombok or Lembongan

Thanks again loving this info, the more the better will look at flying also.

Reply to: Lombok or Lembongan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nusa Lembongan