We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

squeezing in Nusa Lembongan

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
squeezing in Nusa Lembongan

You've all persuaded me I should try to get to Nusa Lembongan on this trip.

I have two options; one is my last two nights in Indonesia, which means a ferry to a taxi to the airport before a 3:30 flight. Probably crazy, but seems doable with a 10:30 boat to Sanur. The other is two-three nights in the middle, on the way to Amed, which means more time for exploring.

Current itinerary:

4 nights Sanur

fly to Java

4 nights Jogjakarta

> 4 nights open

4 nights Amed

2 nights Sidemen

4 nights Ubud

> 2 nights open

My main interests are swimming and snorkeling, plus some nature and local food/culture. I don't like scooters; walking is great though.

-How rough are the crossings in the fast boats? Do I need a seasickness patch if I'm susceptible to motion sickness or is Dramamine enough? Is the water better earlier in the day or just it does depend on the tides and weather?

-I'd like to stay somewhere more remote, possibly even Nusa Penida. Have any of you stayed there or taken the ferries to or from Nusa Penida? I'm wondering how they compare to the Nusa Lembongan fast boat service as far as safety, reliability, etc.

-Also wondering about getting around if I stay somewhere less central. Most hotels and restaurants seem to offer shuttles. Are they scooter shuttles or trucks? (I'd love to stay somewhere like Poh Manis but not if my only option to come down the hill is a scooter.)

-Have any of you used the boat service from Nusa Lembongan or Nusa Penida to Padang Bai? It seems like it would make sense heading to Amed.

-Anywhere you'd particularly recommend, given these parameters? I'm looking for modest guesthouses or bungalows; there seem to be plenty of decent options for US$25-40.

Thanks for your help. I'm excited to be heading back to Indonesia soon.

Level Contributor
555 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: squeezing in Nusa Lembongan

Hi definately use the days in the middle for Nusa Lembongan. You dont want bad weather or boat problems to cause you to miss your 3.30 flight which means you need to be at the airport by 1.30 so it doesnt allow much time for anything to go wrong. The trip to Lembongan is only about 30 minutes and on the 2 times I have done it has been reasonably calm and no need for any medications.

Scooters are easy enough to hire on the island and there is not much traffic to worry about.

I will leave the other questions to others more experienced than me. Sounds like a great trip

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: squeezing in Nusa Lembongan

Thanks, balihopeful. Much appreciated.

3. Re: squeezing in Nusa Lembongan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, November 27, 2014
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now