We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seven lakes hike and monastery visit

London, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Seven lakes hike and monastery visit

Hi there,

My boyfriend and I will be in Bulgaria at the beginning of August and have 3 days to fill. We will be in Sofia and were wanting to go somewhere near the Seven Lakes so that we could do some easy hikes during the days to see the lakes, visit the monestery etc. We have 2-3 nights to spare and would like somewhere to stay that we can leave our luggage and set off each day on self guided walking tours etc. Can anyone suggest where we should base ourselves in order to visit the Rila area?

Thanks so much!

Mentioned in this post
Sofia
Sofia
Sofia Region, Bulgaria
Sunny Beach...
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seven lakes hike and monastery visit

You can try a part of a self-guided walking tour in Rila Mountains, that includes the area of The Seven Lakes and also some other famous walks in the area (Mt. Musala, Mt. Maliovitsa etc.): bulgariawalking.com/p119-Rila_Mountains. I guess a visit to Rila Monastery can also be added somehow. Another way is to try the famous Traventuria day-tour from Sofia, visiting both the Rila Lakes and Rila Monastery (http://traventuria.com/product.aspx?id= 65&cid=54)

Cheers,

Phil

Edited: 5:05 pm, April 23, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Rila Mountains
Rila Mountains
49 Reviews
Rila, Bulgaria
Rila Monastery
Rila Monastery
1,353 Reviews
Rila, Bulgaria
Sofia
Sofia
Sofia Region, Bulgaria
Sofia, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seven lakes hike and monastery visit

If you love hiking for 2-3 days you can make a wonderful trip in Rila. If you on lift to lakes before dinner-time, climb up and view them and you will go about 4 hours to Ivan Vazov hut in which to sleep. This hut is the most beautiful sunset in the world :)

The next day, for 5-6 hours will go down to the Rila Monastery, where a bus or hitchhiking to go down to the cities or Sofia.

Rila is the highest mountain and even in August the weather changes. Be careful. People in the mountains are gentle and courteous, so ask for the path and salute. Have a nice trip

Mentioned in this post
Rila Monastery
Rila Monastery
1,353 Reviews
Rila, Bulgaria
Sofia
Sofia
Sofia Region, Bulgaria
Sofia
Level Contributor
126 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seven lakes hike and monastery visit

Hi bubs787,

you should carefully plan you "hikes" according to you physical condition. In every occasion (besides a short walks around the hotel) you should have at least proper shoes - closed needless to say with hard soles. You wrote "some easy hikes" how easy is easy hike.

What MySofiaCity is suggesting for your first day may be just a bit too much - I have done it in 2 days - being at Rila lakes - see the lakes ( that is about 4.5 hours - amazing) sleep and then go to Ivan Vazov(another 4 hours) and sleep. It can be done in one day by a very well experienced hikers with a lot of stamina but is by no means :"some easy hikes". People are courteous in the mountain, when you happen to meet them, but the mountain itself is not always so gentle - After all - Rila is the highest mountain on the Balkans .

The lakes and the Monastery are not close and it will be very hard to visit both by walking from any point. I would suggest stayng at Panichishte (my favourite is Magnolia - I have been to every hotel there)(when seeing the lakes) and then staying at Rila Monastery for one night. If you definately want to stay at one place - Separeva banya is kind of in the middle - quiet and lots of hotels - but it is a very nice thing to sleep and wake up in the high mountain.

Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Rila Monastery
Rila Monastery
1,353 Reviews
Rila, Bulgaria
4. Re: Seven lakes hike and monastery visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 am, March 17, 2017
Get answers to your questions about Rila
More Rila Topics