We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bodyboarding ?

Staffs
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bodyboarding ?

I'm in the early stages of planning a trip to Australia next August and would like to get some bodyboarding into the itenerary.

Plan at the moment is Sydney around 11th-15th August, then up to Cairns for a week and then down to Sunshine coast from about 22nd -29th August. So 2 main questions..

Where best to stay on Sunshine coast for a UK couple in their 30's who want to experience Australia, catch a bit of fun bodyboarding on safe sandy beaches (i am fairly confident on a bodyboard but my wife only surfed for 1st time last year on honeymoon...and loved it!)

We would like to spend the week with a few beach days, a few trips out to zoo's, natural scenery etc. We don't really like museums or shopping and we would like to spend the evenings in pubs/cafes/bars with a good atmosphere, not bothered about nightclubs really.

So far I've been looking at Noosa and Mooloolaba but open to other ideas!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bodyboarding ?

There are beautiful beaches all the way up the coast from say Caloundra to Noosa Heads (drive takes approx 1.25 hours), with surfing spots all along the way. This stretch is pretty much open beach breaks all the way. Once you get to Noosa there are some point breaks that may be more suitable/safer for a learner - I would suggest Noosa as your base partly for this reason. Plus there are plenty of restaurants/cafes, bars and pubs in Noosa and nearby areas such as Noosaville. Generally a fun & lively atmosphere. The National Park there has lovely walks with fab views. You could do a day trip up to Fraser Island or even better stay overnight on Fraser. Drive into the hinterland for some beautiful scenery/rainforests/waterfalls - visit Montville, Kondalilla National Park, Eumundi markets. Do a day trip down the coast stopping at some of the glorious beaches along the way. Do a Noosa river/everglades trip. Visit Australia zoo, and Glass House mountains.

sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/.../top-sunsine-co…

discover-sunshine-coast-australia.com/Sunshi…

coastbeaches.com/web/information/surfing.php

Edited: 7:17 pm, October 09, 2012
Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
11,860 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bodyboarding ?

Adding to the info already provided by morticia, for 30 somethings, I would recommend you stay at Moolooaba. If you have a car and depending on the wind you could bodyboard anywhere along the SC strip. Mooloolaba Beach is a great beach for surfing of all kinds, but on occassions like most beaches the waves can turn in to dumpers, not fun for a learner but in general a great beach for that activity. Mooloolaba is exposed to a northerly wind, but those winds usually come in the afternoon. As stated before if you have a car, you could try lots of beaches, Kings at Caloundra is better beach when a northerly hits, but blows out with southerly to easterly winds.

Mooloolaba has a fantatsic range of accommodation, restaurants, bars, and cafes as well.

Noosa is a great place, but on comparison to cost against Mooloolaba IMO it's more expensive if you want to be in the mix like you could be at Mooloolaba, both in accommodation and eating.

http://www.mooloolabaesplanade.com.au/

Safe travels - Robert

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bodyboarding ?

i can only add (as a surfer of some 55years) that point breaks are not the best for body boarders to learn in, beach breaks are.

point breaks (when on) are usually frequented by board surfers and are usually one man waves. u r really dont want to mix it with them. that's why we call body boarders, speed bumps.

Edited: 8:14 pm, October 09, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bodyboarding ?

The poor old body boarders are often maligned :( As long as they understand 'surf etiquette' (keep out of the way of board surfers) they should be OK. Was just thinking the shore breaks along the coast can be very rough and dangerous for the inexperienced, especially if the surf is big. I had a few scares myself on a surf mat back in the day. At least at Noosa you've still got quite a long stretch that the better 'stand-uppers' wouldn't be interested in surfing, but the relatively small shore break would be OK for a body board learner. And if it gets too crowded there I guess they can always go around to one of the closer 'coast beaches' (maybe Peregian?).

Cradle...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,860 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bodyboarding ?

morticia, lien's a drop in, and where there's a wave they'll say it's theirs :o))

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bodyboarding ?

LOL - he'll love that comment :o))

Cradle...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,860 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bodyboarding ?

A surfer with a sense of humour, now I would like to see that, and I've got two surfer brothers-in-laws to prove it :o))

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bodyboarding ?

when any shark biscuit is able to catch a wave inside me at a point break is the day i give up surfing ;-)

Cradle...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,860 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bodyboarding ?

LOL it's been a long time since I've heard that, as they say lien - "When the surfs up, your life is too", there's always time for a surf, jeez I miss my SC unit ;o)

Edited: 10:29 pm, October 09, 2012
Staffs
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Bodyboarding ?

Thanks all for the replies... Sounds like a nice choice of spots!

I'm quite happy with nice sandy beach breaks if possible as it's just for a bit of fun with my wife. I'm defo not looking to mix it with the hard boards/locals..

Do they set different flagged areas for the hardboards like in UK? ie. black n white for hardboards, red and yellow for bodyboards and swimmers?

Get answers to your questions about Sunshine Coast