We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hike From Kleine Scheidegg

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Hike From Kleine Scheidegg

We will be travelling to Switzerland in April next year and, after catching the train to Jungfraujoch, wish to walk down from Kleine Scheidegg to either Wengen or Grindlewald. I am wondering whether one walk is easier and/or more picturesque than the other. This will help me decide which town to stay in. We are "somewhat middle aged!".

Mentioned in this post
Jungfraujoch
Jungfraujoch
2,481 Reviews
Bernese Oberland, Switzerland
Kleine Scheidegg
Kleine Scheidegg
375 Reviews
Jungfrau Region, Switzerland
Wengen
Wengen
6 replies to this topic
England, United...
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hike From Kleine Scheidegg

Hi

April is out of season, but I expect you could walk Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg on the direct path by the railway line (walking up is easier). Takes 2.5 hours or so. KS to Grindelwald is much longer.

Having said that, this isn't a sensible basis for an accommodation decision. You can always walk part of either route and take the train the rest of the way. Grindelwald may be a better choice out of season, as it's a larger resort.

Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Wengen
Wengen
Kleine Scheidegg
Kleine Scheidegg
375 Reviews
Grindelwald
Grindelwald
Toronto
Level Contributor
360 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hike From Kleine Scheidegg

A word of caution - at higher altitudes, April is closer to late winter than to spring in terms of weather. From what I've read it would not be unusual to still have snow at Kleine Scheidegg.

Trails down may be snow-covered or muddy from spring snowmelt; some hiking routes may be closed. I expect some of the local experts will chime in with a bit more detail about what one might expect at that time of year.

Mentioned in this post
Kleine Scheidegg
Kleine Scheidegg
375 Reviews
San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,745 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hike From Kleine Scheidegg

There will still be snow at Kleine Scheidegg in April. Trails down from their will either be closed or very unpleasant (and potentially dangerous) to navigate.

If you are looking for a pictureque walk in April I recommend the valley floor walk: Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg.

Mentioned in this post
Kleine Scheidegg
Kleine Scheidegg
375 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hike From Kleine Scheidegg

Thank you all so much for your speedy replies...much appreciated. I hadn't realised that there would still be so much snow around in April. I will take all the advice onboard and consider my options. I have also read that travellers are able to take a gondola from Wengen to Mannlichen and walk to Kleine Scheidegg from there, however I now realise that there would be too much snow still around for this. We will definitely look at the valley walk. Again, thanks for your replies.

Mentioned in this post
Wengen
Wengen
Kleine Scheidegg
Kleine Scheidegg
375 Reviews
England, United...
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hike From Kleine Scheidegg

Hi

You won't actually be able to go on the Maennlichen cable cars anyway, as they finish at the end of the winter season (April 2 this year). You might want to consider Lucerne instead for an April Visit.

Mentioned in this post
Maennlichen
Maennlichen
442 Reviews
Grindelwald, Switzerland
Lucerne
Lucerne
Canton of Lucerne, Switzerland
Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hike From Kleine Scheidegg

Thanks so much for all of your replies...very much appreciated!

Reply to: Hike From Kleine Scheidegg
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kleine Scheidegg