We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I get from Bellagio to Gimmelwald to begin our hike?

7 posts
Save Topic
How do I get from Bellagio to Gimmelwald to begin our hike?

Hello seasoned travelers! I need help ASAP! I am planning a trip to Switzerland departing on July 18th! Our plan is to fly into Milan, spend one night, see the "Last Supper," then head straight to Bellagio for two nights. Our plan was to travel from Bellagio to Kandersteg and then on to Lake Oeschinensee for a night before beginning on the Via Alpina. Basically after assessing the 2-3 day hike to Gimmelwald, we have decided that it is too hard for us! We are traveling with our 2 teenage boys as well. We need to get from Bellagio to Gimmelwald quickly. Sugestions?? From there we plan to hike around, Obersteinberg, Murren, Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, Klein Scheidegg, Gringelwald, Faulhorn, Grosse Scheidegg, and up to Meiringen. We have around 9 nights in the Jungfrau area and are game for 3-4 hour hikes. Even a day or two of 5 hour hikes! What hikes do you recommend? I basically need an rough itinerary for this region. We plan to visit Lucerne for two nights to celebrate Swiss National Day, and then head to Zurich for our departure. Whew! I would truly value any feedback!

4 replies to this topic
W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do I get from Bellagio to Gimmelwald to begin our hike?

From the Oechinsee just hike back to the lift and take it back down to Kandersteg. From there take the train to Spiez where you change trains to Interlaken Ost. The BernerOberlandBahn (BOB) train will take you to Lauterbrunn. From there you have to catch the Post bus down the valley to the Stechelberg station of the Schilthornbahn cablecar for the ride up to Gimmelwald. I'm sure it sounds a lot worse than it really is but that's the only way to get there

The list of hiking opportunities you have listed should do you well for your time in the Oberland. Especially if you factor in any time for foul weather but here are some of my favorites.

1.Wengen/Mannlichen/ Kleien Scheidegg- First section can be steep but great sites. Second section makes up for it.

2. Grutchalp/Sauslager/Marchegg/Almendhubel/Murren- Not really difficult but great sights the whole way.

3. Gimmelwald/Stechelberg/Obersteinberg/Stechelberg/Gimmelwald-Great visit to the Obersteinberg mountain hotel and views of the Schmadribach Falls.

4. Trummelbach Falls/Wengen-Starts on the valley floor and climbs steeply over the Trummelbach and on to Stalden at the foot of the Jungfrau. Great wooded trail into Wengen. Occasional wildlife sightings.

5. Schynigge Platte/First- Long walk but not extremely difficult. Stop at the Faulhorn Hotel for lunch (oldest mountain hotel in Switzerland) with great views of the whole area.

6.Grosse Scheidegg/ Rosenlaui- Fairly easy walk, mostly downhill with good views of the eastern Oberland.

7. Murren/Schilthorn/Murren- 4,700 ft of elevation change both up and down. Great views the whole way. Go up via the Schilthornhutte and come back down via Schiltgratt. If you have had enough after the ascent take the cablecar back down. It's nice to get to see the view from the restaurant without having to pay the expensive fare.

Edited: 4:57 pm, June 24, 2014
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I get from Bellagio to Gimmelwald to begin our hike?

Thank you so very much! I am still confused! I ultimately wish to end up in Obersteinberg for the night! Any other suggestions?

7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I get from Bellagio to Gimmelwald to begin our hike?

Sorry about that! Now I need to get from Lake Oeschenensee to Gimmelwald so we can hike to Obersteinberg. Thanks for suggestions!

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do I get from Bellagio to Gimmelwald to begin our hike?

Other than hiking, which you said was too hard, the only way to get from Oechenensee to Gimmelwald is the way I outlined above.

Reply to: How do I get from Bellagio to Gimmelwald to begin our hike?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gimmelwald