We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flies in Gimmelwald?

Eden Prairie...
Level Contributor
28 posts
179 reviews
Save Topic
Flies in Gimmelwald?

Can anyone comment about flies in Gimmelwald? Are they really a problem or just certain times of the year?

I've seen a couple of comments about them on hotel reviews....like this one:

"Visited the Mountain Hostel in late June. I'm not sure if it was just the time of year, but the entire town had sooo many flies! Although it was a struggle for all hotels and restaurants to keep the flies away,..."

Yellowknife, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flies in Gimmelwald?

I was there for a week mid-May and don't recall seeing any flies at that time.

Eden Prairie...
Level Contributor
28 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flies in Gimmelwald?

We were there in Sept 2013 and did not experience any FLIES either...as mentioned by others in separate posts.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,130 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flies in Gimmelwald?

I was also there the third week of September 2013 and the only flies we saw were buzzing around two cows near a railing next to a sidewalk.

Little San Salvador...
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Flies in Gimmelwald?

Assuming this isn't a joke vgroten, the answer is there are probably no more flies than you would find at home.

What MIGHT have prompted the comment you read however, is outdoor dining (always attracts more flies anywhere right) and the lack of screens on windows which means more may be encountered inside buildings. While sceen windows are considered normal in N. America, they aren't in Europe.

Reviews always need to be taken with a grain of salt and reading between the lines is a necessity. Most people have expectations based on what they are used to. Those expectations are not always realistic. They often don't take local norms into account either.

I used to laugh when I was living on the island of Rhodes, Greece when tourists from the UK would complain about 'all the mosquitoes'. I got an average of 2 bites a summer while living there. But I'm from Ontario, Canada where we know what mosquitoes are all about as you probably also do in Minnesota. Brits on the other hand don't see many mosquitoes. So when they say 'a lot of mosquitoes', I'd be saying very few mosquitoes. LOL

I suspect that is the real explanation of 'sooo many flies'.

5. Re: Flies in Gimmelwald?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, May 30, 2016