We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zurich - Gimmelwald

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Zurich - Gimmelwald

We will be spending two or three days in Zurich later this month. Is it feasible to do a day trip to Gimmelwald? Could we combine it with anything else? Is it recommeded?

Thanks in advance.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,875 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Zurich - Gimmelwald

It is feasible, check the Swiss Rail website www.sbb.ch/en for train times. You do know that Gimmelwald is a very small hamlet on the way to Murren. You tale the postbus or walk from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg and take the cable car, or go to Murren and walk down or take the cable car. You could combine this with a trip to the Trummelbach waterfalls in the Lauterbrunnen Valley or take the train from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen, or a boat trip on either Lake Thun or Lake Brienz. All the details are available on the Swiss Rail website

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
142 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zurich - Gimmelwald

It's possible but I personally would not recommend it. While charming, Gimmelwald is a very small farming community in the Lauterbrunnen Valley: a dozen houses, a hostel, a few cheese-selling huts. My mom and I enjoyed our stroll through it but we were already staying in the area for several days.

If you just have a few days in Zurich I would recommend a day trip to Luzern, maybe with a stop in Zug on the way back for dinner. There are mountain trips you can take in the Zurich and Luzern area that will give you beautiful panoramic views.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Zurich - Gimmelwald

Thank you so much -- that is all very helpful.

Is it worth taking an organised tour to one of the mountains?

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,875 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Zurich - Gimmelwald

Again Jojodi no, it is so easy to go anywhere almost in Switzerland without an organised tour. Either research the train and boat times on the Swiss Rail website www.sbb.ch/en if you want boat timings go to the advanced search function. Plus by doing it yourself you are not committed to any particular roiute or timings. If you have problems come back and ask there are many here who will help.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Zurich - Gimmelwald

Thanks Swisslover. I am persuaded. I have been reading the forum and the train ticket/pass situation seems confusing, and also expensive. What would be my best bet under these circumstances:

We have Eurail passes. We will spend two days travelling out of Zurich and one day sightseeing in Zurich. Individual tickets, pass, etc?

Many many thanks for your help.

6. Re: Zurich - Gimmelwald

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, August 04, 2016