We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mashiko Autumn Pottery Festival

Birmingham, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Mashiko Autumn Pottery Festival

Can someone tell me the exact dates of the Autumn Pottery Festival in Mashiko this year?

6 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,023 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mashiko Autumn Pottery Festival

Mashiko was badly hit on Mar 11 but it is slowly recovering. The autumn event is from Nov 3 – Nov 7, daily from 9.00 – 17.00

mashiko-kankou.org/mta1/…tokiichi.htm

Birmingham, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mashiko Autumn Pottery Festival

Thanks for your very quick reply. I found that web page a couple of months ago when I was booking my trip, but when I began to have doubts about the start date, I couldn't find it again.

Could I follow up with a related question? We will be staying in Tokyo until 3rd September. I have been considering the possibility of getting a car and driver and travelling to Mashiko, starting about 8:00am and arriving, hopefully by 11:am. We would spend two hours or so in Mashiko and then travel on to Kasama to explore the potteries and shops there for an hour or so and then travel on to Narita for an overnight stay before our flight out.

Do you think this is feasible? Could you estimate the likely cost of the car+driver? Could I book the trip through my Tokyo hotel (Imperial) or can you suggest a better way?

Many thanks

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,019 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mashiko Autumn Pottery Festival

That would be a very full day.

It's a total of about 165 miles and 5 hours of driving, according to http://maps.google.com/ I don't know anything about car+driver rates, but I saw online prices around 50,000 yen and up for a full day (yes, hundreds of pounds). Your hotel is definitely the way to go if you are considering this. I'm sure you could send an email in advance.

By train, according to http://www.hyperdia.com/ , it will be about 5 -6 hours of travel time, and about 5500 to 8200 yen per person (the faster, more expensive times involve Shinkansen part of the way to Mashiko). These are ballpark numbers. Will the trains be jammed at Mashiko? I have no idea.

Birmingham, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mashiko Autumn Pottery Festival

Thanks for your help, RogerR-Phila.

I got the same total travel time from Google too and that's why I decided not to try self-drive hire. I suppose that an alternative would be to self-drive from Utsunomiya. A few years back we drove from there to Nikko on day one and then from Nikko to Mashiko and back to Utsunomiya on day two. Driving out of central Tokyo at 7:30ish is definitely a no-no and I would worry that the Google travel time estimate for that leg of the journey might be way too low for that time of day on a weekday.

I've done the Tokyo-Mashiko trip several times, both train+bus and train all the way. It's pretty tedious.

I will contact the hotel and see if they have any suggestions. Many thanks again

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,023 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mashiko Autumn Pottery Festival

No personal knowledge about car + driver deal (couldn’t afford it) but public transport to Mashiko isn’t that difficult. Most would use Utsunomiya as a stepping stone, JR from Tokyo and then bus to Mashiko. Can’t locate the source but I’d read somewhere there is a long distance bus directly between Tokyo and Mashiko. Don’t know how update it is, the following is some info on access to Mashiko from Tokyo.

jnto.go.jp/eng/…mashiko.pdf

Kasama can be reached from Mashiko by train in less than 2 hrs with a transfer. Also it is about 2 hrs by train to Tokyo with a transfer. Public transport is feasible, the only concern is whether you can fit it in a day in according to the rail frequency.

Self-drive is a good idea, but of course not from Tokyo. From Utsunomiya it is just 50 min drive to Mashiko and another 35 min to Kasama. If you intend to stay in Narita, you can also consider renting from Narita which is about 2 hrs 15 min drive from Mashiko.

You must be a huge pottery fan by going to Mashiko several times. Mashiko is still on our wish list but we went to another similar destination in Kyushu around the Arita and Imari area. We loved it, especially the drive out to Okawachi-yama.

Tokyo, Japan
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Mashiko Autumn Pottery Festival

i guess the best ways are:

tokyo-utsunomiya: JR

JR utsunomiya station-mashiko: bus

or

tokyo to shimodate: JR

shimodate- mashiko: moka railway

if you are going there on Oct. 3rd (holiday), 5th, or 6th (week end), i guess car will not be your first choice. may get stuck in a traffic jam and take long to find parking lot.

then if 2 or more people are going, car will be better choice for mashiko-kasama.

below is where you can rent a car in mashiko(only jp pages though):

http://www.takashima-e.com/rent.html

*i looked for that long distance bus directly between toyko and mashiko, i could find it. sorry.

Reply to: Mashiko Autumn Pottery Festival
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mashiko-machi