We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for picturesque outdoor Onsen's in the snow

Which Hakuba-mura hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
252 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for picturesque outdoor Onsen's in the snow

Im looking at staying in Hakuba in Jan/Feb 2011.

I am interested in going to an Onsen and have seen some beautiful ones on the net that are outside in the middle of the snow, trees looking over the mountains however i cant find any that are in the Hakuba area. I am looking to stay at a place called Alpine Wind that is somewhere in Habuka Village so id need to be able to get to the Onsen from there. Can anyone let me know of a Onsen like this in the region? Or would i have to travel somewhere else in Japan to experience a Onsen like this?

Thanks

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,481 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for picturesque outdoor Onsen's in the snow

There are indoor & outdoor onsen in Hakuba.

I have only used the those in the hotels I have stayed at.

However, there are a number listed on this link (scroll down it a bit):

morinolodge.com/attractions/hakuba-onsens/

Your hotel will also be able to make recommendations & arrange transport or provide map directions.

9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for picturesque outdoor Onsen's in the snow

Hmmmm..... Hakuba is plenty of outdoor onsens but maybe not as you have pictured it. There are some like you describe but they are closed in the middle of winter. My personal favorite is kurashita-no-yu because of the quality of the water. It is outdoor but often covered with plastic curtains in winter because of the cold. Mimizuku has nice soft water with great views of Happo.

Here is a site with a list of onsens and pictures to help you choose.

http://japan-onsen.com/hakuba_onsen.htm

I suggest you try a few!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for picturesque outdoor Onsen's in the snow

There is a very picturesque outdoor onsen at the top of the Wadano forest. I can't remember what it is called, but it is very small and looks out over the forest. It is a beautiful setting.

Because it is so small, it is booked privately by the hour. This means that a couple can use it together. Most onsens are more communal in nature and are therefore limited to either males or females.

If you stay in the Wadano forest area then your hotel will probably know plenty about it and be able to book it for you.

4. Re: Looking for picturesque outdoor Onsen's in the snow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 04, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Hakuba-mura