We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duquesa in early May?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Duquesa in early May?

Hi there,

I'm planning a week long trip with family in Southern Spain for the first week in May.

I have been to Duquesa before in August and had a briliant time.

I was just wondering if anyone, from previous experience, has been to el Puerto de la Duquesa around this time, and if so, would it still be enjoyable?

I would prefer if there were at least a few restaurants/bars to choose from. I don't mind if it's a little quiet, but at the same time I wouldn't want to go if it's a complete ghost town.

Also, how is the weather around this time of the year? I know that it's always hard to predict, but is it pleasant enough to hit the beach for a few days?

Also, can anyone recommend any places to see during the day, perhaps Gibraltar? Or indeed if anyone could recommend any other resorts SW of Malaga I'd be grateful!

Thanks very much,

Rónán.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
351 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duquesa in early May?

Hi,

I'm also from Belfast anf have an apt in Duquesa. May is a lovely time to visit. I would generally go then and the weather is usually very nice. Pleasant to be out and about but not too warm that it's exhausting. There is really not much in Gib although most people like to visit at least once. The bars and restaurants will be open as will the beach bars. Keep an eye on the manilvalife forum for ideas on whats going on. Where are you staying?

Essex UK
Level Contributor
50 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duquesa in early May?

The weather is hit and miss that time of year usually really pleasant and much more bearable than your previous visit in August. Loads of restaurants still open in Duquesa and the surrounding areas, and the strongest survive. There are a few shops and restaurants gone down in the recession. We found a new one The Bistro #1 on trip advisor but as usual our favourite is San Rafael a typical Spanish Restaurant on the main road go for the suckling pig or baby lamb. Traviatta still the same but overpriced. Fox's in Sabinillas great value for money. C Bar is a great place for snacks, perfectly clean and comfortable to watch sport on the many tv's in the seating area all free wi fi too. Miel in Sabillinas perfect for full English breakfast with a lovely sea view. My favourite on a lovely sunny day over the weekend mixing with the local and visiting Spanish is any fish bar in El Castillo, enjoy

London
Level Contributor
96 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duquesa in early May?

Hi, i have just come back. We had a week of rain (luckily it wasnt for a holiday though!) Stay positive though, when i left on Saturday - it was wall to wall sunshine (70 ish) and forecast sun for the coming weeks! As per the above post plenty open in the port this time of year, it will be quiet but i like it that way to be honest! Highly recommend doing a GIB day trip, have visited many times over the years. St Michaels Cave is a must as are the M.O.D tunnels and not forgetting the Monkeys. You can also goto the registry office that Yoko and Lennon famously got married. Dont forget the markets of Sabinillas and Estepona, always worth a trip. Selwo World is worth a visit in Estepona if you like nature. And dont forget to jump in the car to visit the stunning white village of Casares. Picture postcard stuff and will show you the 'real' Andalucia. Cheers!

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
3,053 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Duquesa in early May?

My friend lives in Duquesa all year round, was speaking to her on Sunday when she said it was lovely and they were going out for a tapas lunch with friends. If you have a car you should try a day trip inland to Ronda, wonderful drive up from San Pedro de Alcantara will take you about an hour and 20 minutes. If you go down to Gibraltar it will probably be easier to leave the car in La Linea de la Conception and walk across the border, comfy shoes and passports a must.

Saludos. Lindsay

5. Re: Duquesa in early May?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 12, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Puerto de la Duquesa