We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ban on tourists in Tiger Preserves

Which Kanha National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
30 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Ban on tourists in Tiger Preserves

The India Supreme Court recently banned tourists from India's Tiger Reserves. Is there someone that is close enough to the situation to comment on whether it is likely that the temporary ban will become permanent?

Edited: 4:56 pm, July 25, 2012
Chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Tamil Nadu
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ban on tourists in Tiger Preserves

Hi

Its hard to imagine a permanent ban in place, though i sincerely feel that a clearly defined CORE Zone needs to be out of bounds.

See a similar thread on the same topic:

tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g293860-i511-k56176…

regards

Rajan

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,233 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ban on tourists in Tiger Preserves

There is no blanket ban.

All they are saying is that please demarcate core versus buffer zones, and they will allow safaris in the buffer zones.

Some reserves already have this demarcation.

What they are seeking to do is cover all tiger reserves now.

Until the parks define the zones, and this definition is accepted, safaris cannot happen. Since the rainy season (Jul to Sep) is a time when the parks are closed anyway, we hope the definitions will come through and safaris will happen when the parks re-open in October.

Deepa

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
246 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ban on tourists in Tiger Preserves

"Some reserves already have this demarcation"

is there a way to know which have already done so?

thanks.

-a

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
830 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ban on tourists in Tiger Preserves

Actually Deepa, apparently there is a blanket ban at the moment, or so I am told. Even the Jhirna zone at Corbett is presently closed, and that stays open all year round.

Kanha is one of the better parks, and should have few changes because it is very well run, but some other changes could include lesser known rules being upheld, and these could be problematic in all kinds of ways.

Corbett is also a very well run park, and also has rooms inside the park for tourists, but the feeling there, is that these too may soon be off the menu.

Rules regarding how close jeeps are allowed to get to each other could force down jeep numbers entering parks, while at the same time forcing costs for safaris skywards.

Nothing is yet clear as to exactly what the final outcome will be, so wait until after the 22nd August, and more things will become clearer

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,233 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ban on tourists in Tiger Preserves

The parks in the south of India like Nagarhole / Kabini have had demarcated core zones for a while now, as far as I know. But tourists were not strictly prohibited from entering core zones. In some of them, the core zones were very much the areas where tourists regularly went. So now these parks, along with others, have put a hold on safaris, until they are able to make a firm plan of action.

Again, I reiterate, there is no blanket ban on safaris, the ban is only on going to core areas.

Parks will define what is core and non-core and when the parks open in October for the safari season. I believe tourists will be allowed to go, the only question that remains is where exactly they will be allowed and where not. Once that is known, tourists can decide whether or not they think it is worth it.

Edited: 3:55 am, August 22, 2012
Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,233 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ban on tourists in Tiger Preserves

orbis, what is there right now is just a temporary stop to safaris, until the mess is sorted out. What I meant by "there is no blanket ban" means that the Supreme Court has not banned safaris completely.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
830 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ban on tourists in Tiger Preserves

You are absolutely correct Deepa, it is temporary, and I hope it stays that way.

The talk in the papers today, suggest that things will stay as they were before the July ban. Well what a waste of time , hot air , and unnecessary worry for those people involved ?

I think the court is sitting as I write, and I hope the outcome is worthwhile for tigers.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,518 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ban on tourists in Tiger Preserves

News just coming in - ban on tourism in core areas of tiger preserves to stay.

Edited: 5:09 am, August 22, 2012
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
830 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ban on tourists in Tiger Preserves

Nothing new there then !

It will play havoc in Ranthambore if enforced, because Ranthambore is entirely "core" area

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ban on tourists in Tiger Preserves

ndtv.com/article/…

It seems that the wait for an answer will continue till the 29th August.