We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Landbridge crossing Ireland to Vendee area France

Enniskillen, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Landbridge crossing Ireland to Vendee area France

Can anyone offer advice on best landbridge crossing going from Ireland to Vendee region of France? Direct ferries from Ireland are quite expensive. I have travelled with Irish Ferries before to Roscoff, but not overly impressed by them. Would maybe consider Brittany Ferries from Cork, but again they are very expensive.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

mj6
manchester england
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Landbridge crossing Ireland to Vendee area France

can i make a suggestion on flying and hiring a car when you get there, with the cost of the sailings, hotel and cost of fuel it might be worth checking the price to fly to nantes

as a family from the north west england we used to go across from plymouth to roscoff or poole/weymoth to st malo which i found a right pain

then a few years ago we went to brittany with flybe and also to the vendee last year i can not tell you how much less stress and hassle it was

good luck with what route you pick

Barcelona...
10 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Landbridge crossing Ireland to Vendee area France

Having travelled with Celtic Link, Irish Ferries, Stena Line, DFS and other companies over the years I would rate Celtic as no better or worse than the others. For value they compete with Stena Line but Irish Ferries offer the benefit that their arrival time in France is 7.00 AM allowing a great start to the drive through the Cherbourg Pennisula.

Stena Line, however, offer landbridge prices from Dublin, Dunlaoghaire and Rosslare to Holy head and Fishguard then from Dover to either Dunkirk or Calais ALL AT THE SAME PRICE. The choice is yours depending on which route or departure/arrival times suit your journey. I would make the following observations, however, from personal experience:

Don't rely on Google Maps for the best route, their route from Holyhead is mad. Set a route from Holyhead to the end of the M40 around Droitwich - you will save miles and traffic jams not to mention the M6 toll rip-off.

The South Wales route, however, is quiet until you reach Reading and there are alternatives which avoid the M25.

If you are out to have fun and hang the cost then why are you here - book the best suite aboard the Irish Ferries service from Rosslare and be done. If, like other mere mortals, cost matters then my optimum route would be Rosslare - Fishguard - Dunkirk - the nearest supermarket to top up the cold box with French goodies and sensibly priced wine then off to an F1 for the night. If you can't do that trip one way ffor under £250 you have too big a car, too expensive taste in wine or didn't book early enough.

There is one other consideration in deciding between Holyhead and Fishguard, the former route can take you through The Black Country where the cool box can be filled with delicacies like Pork Scratchings, Black Spot Cheese, Black Country Ale and Black Pudding which will save you a stop in France and make the first night a truly English gastranomic experience.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
85 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Landbridge crossing Ireland to Vendee area France

We're also a family of 5 and have sailed Rosslare to Cherbourg with a motorhome and cabin for €800 return in July / August.

For us the holiday starts as soon as we get to Rosslare and we make the most of our time on the boat and relax with a few beers / wine the night we sail, get a good nights sleep and are refreshed for the drive when we arrive the next day.

Try Celtic Link in January- that's when we've booked the last few years. Their facilities might be basic but less hassle and cheaper than going through the UK.

Edited: 4:29 pm, December 08, 2013
14. Re: Landbridge crossing Ireland to Vendee area France

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:35 pm, December 16, 2013
Edited: 12:35 pm, December 16, 2013
Midlands, Ireland
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Landbridge crossing Ireland to Vendee area France

New ferry book immediately don't hum and haw as only 200 places at this price, I bookef 4july to 23july for five with camper and with outside cabin and one seat for about €350. www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php…

Edited: 9:27 am, December 16, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
85 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Landbridge crossing Ireland to Vendee area France

Great offer which unfortunately we missed by waiting to confirm holidays in work. Ended up paying €820 with Celtic Link for motorhome, 2 adults, 3 children and a dog. Still a good price for August.

17. Re: Landbridge crossing Ireland to Vendee area France

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 16, 2015