We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a week in switzerland

Which Unterseen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
70 posts
172 reviews
Save Topic
a week in switzerland

We are a couple with our old parents and 2 young kids, we will fly into Geneva in May and are in swiz for a week.

We will be keen on doing the Matterhorn, Jaungfraugh and Mt. Titlis. Would like to take the kids to a chocolate factory/ farm/ Cheese factory.

Is Unterseen a good base for 5 days to travel to all these places without too much stress on the old folks and kids?

Please suggest itineraries and places to stay.

Thanks

5 replies to this topic
Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,093 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: a week in switzerland

Hi SumiRagoo,

I would use the Swiss rail site to see how long your daily excursions would be. I personally don't like to travel more than two hours in each direction -- I've learned that any longer inside a train for a day-trip just ruins the day. Here's the rail site:

www.rail.ch

I personally don't think Unterseen is well located for what you want to do. For instance, the trip to Zermatt will be 2h30, the trip to Engelberg (to ascend Titlis) is 3h10, and the trip to Gruyeres (for the cheese demonstration) is 3h14.

You may want to check out Bern or Thun -- each of these cities are within two hours of everything except the Jungfraujoch.

Have fun as you plan!

s

canada
Level Contributor
7,460 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: a week in switzerland

For practical purposes Unterseen shares the Interlaken West station across the river. A local bus will connect you to the station, even to Wilderswil to connect to the Jungfraubahn.

Yes those day trips can be done, but on a tight and therefore more stressful situation for the young and old. There will be multiple changes of transport.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a week in switzerland

It would be better for you to change base in between. You can base yourself in Bernese Oberland area to visit Jungfrau, then I suggest that you move to Lucern to visit Mt Titlis. If you change base, your day trip journeys will be shorter so it'll be better for the kids.

As for Zermatt, it's up to you whether you want to make it a day trip, but it'll be better if you can spend the night there.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
70 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: a week in switzerland

lovely to read the suggestions... Thanks!

So is it better for us to spend 3 nights in Interlaken, 3 in lucerne and 1 in Geneva or Zurich ?

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: a week in switzerland

Most people won't opt for Interlaken, but rather one of the village mountains such as Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, Murren or Grindelwald. However, a lot of tour groups base themselves in Interlaken. I guess they do that so that they can take a circular route to Jungfraujoch. You can go up from 1 side (Lauterbrunnen) and go down from the other side (Grindelwald).

Reply to: a week in switzerland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Unterseen