We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant with great chef's tasting menu?

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant with great chef's tasting menu?

Hi there,

Looking for a nice dinner with a tasting menu with wine pairing. Any cuisine would be fine, but would prefer a place with outdoor seating, and/or nice views, and a semi-casual atmosphere, for an anniversary dinner for two not-fancy people who like great wine and food :-)

We're staying in Sebastopol, and don't mind driving half hour/45 mins, but Sonoma town would probably be too far, as well as the coast, right?

Budget is about $250-300 total. Possibly a bit higher if worth the splurge.

Thanks!

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,069 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant with great chef's tasting menu?

Three good suggestions that we or friends have enjoyed: Applewood Inn near Guerneville; Madrona Manor just outside Healdsburg; and Farmhouse Inn in Forestville. I think they all would meet your budget requirements. Enjoy!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,643 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant with great chef's tasting menu?

+1 for all the places that OJ suggests. we especially love Farmhouse Inn. The only downside to having a fab chefs meal is that one cannot consume much wine and then drive. Have a look at Sebastopol for choices.

Level Contributor
35,461 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant with great chef's tasting menu?

Check out Dry Creek Kitchen @ The Hotel Healdsburg. They have an outdoor patio there and excellent food. :)

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,170 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant with great chef's tasting menu?

Here is a quote from the Hotel Healdsburg's website.

""Dry Creek Kitchen’s renowned six-course tasting menu paired with a selection of Sonoma County’s premiere wines should not be missed.""

Healdsburg is 22 miles from Sebastopol vie Hwy 12 and Hey 101.

Farmhouse Inn gets very good reviews. They have three course and four course wine pairings menus, but I do not believe they have either a chef's tasting menu nor patio seating. I could be wrong, however.

Edited: 9:49 pm, April 19, 2014
New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant with great chef's tasting menu?

Thanks. Our rental apartment is close to Healdsburg - Google Maps says 18 mins to Farmhouse Inn.

I looked at Farmhouse Inn's website, but didn't see a chef's tasting menu either. Plus, the atmosphere looked a bit stuffier than I was looking for, though I may be wrong. Madrona Manor also looks a bit more formal than I was looking for, but I didn't see any outdoor dining options (of course, I could get unlucky and it will be chilly or pouring rain the day we dine!)

I had been looking at Barndiva, as we had a marvelous meal there a few years ago, but wanted to go with something different this time.

Dry Creek Kitchen looks good, though the tasting menu seems a little higher in price than I was hoping to spend. But like I said, a little outside my budget is ok for the right experience. It is our 10th anniversary, after all. I'll give them a call.

Applewood Inn looks lovely. We were originally going to book a room there, but found something more centrally located. I'll give them a call as well.

Any input on Willi's Wine Bar? The small-plate menu looks to be right in line with the type of food we generally like. I don't see a "tasting menu" per se, though we could put one together ourselves due to the tapas style plates.

Level Contributor
35,461 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant with great chef's tasting menu?

Willi's is very good but casual, not on the same level as Dry Creek Kitchen. I sure miss Cyrus... loved recommending that place to visitors. Happy Easter! :).

7. Re: Restaurant with great chef's tasting menu?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 22, 2015