We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Welcoming input

Springfield...
Level Contributor
46 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Welcoming input

We are planning a 3 day trip to Sonoma in January. Will be flying to SF on a Tuesday afternoon, debating between renting a car there and driving to Sonoma or using the transporter to the Oakland airport. We would then rent a car there . Any experience or opinions?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Welcoming input

Are you asking if you should rent a car at OAK or SFO airlport?

Springfield...
Level Contributor
46 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Welcoming input

I apologize for being unclear. I was asking if any have had experience using the airport express service from SFO.I think I was incorrect, it would be between SFO to Sonoma county airport. Is the ride from SFO difficult with the traffic?

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,535 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Welcoming input

If you take the airport transport to your hotel in Sonoma, how will you get around once you are there? Depending on where you stay, there may be few car rental options, and prices may well be higher than renting from an airport like SFO where there are many companies with large fleets of cars from which to choose.

Otherwise, the drive from SFO to Sonoma is mostly freeway, with a small portion on city streets in San Francisco en route to the Golden Gate Bridge. I don't find our driving particularly intimidating, not like Madrid or Italy. I do think our drivers are more aggressive in some ways than those I encountered on a recent driving trip near Boston and the Cape... more impatient in some respects. But if you can drive around Boston, you'll be fine here.

(Edited to add, I actually find heavy traffic easier to drive in... find a comfortable lane and stay in it.)

Edited: 2:21 pm, November 11, 2013
Springfield...
Level Contributor
46 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Welcoming input

Thank you. Part of the reason I was considering waiting to rent a car in Sonoma area or OAK was because I had read it is easier to fly out of Oakland and was considering where to return the car Our flight into SFO is booked but we would be flying out of either SFO or OAK on a Fri pm. Any thoughts on this?

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,535 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Welcoming input

It is easier to fly out of OAK in the sense that it is a smaller airport. Friday afternoon you'll run into traffic everywhere, but if you fly out of OAK (and come back from Sonoma on Hwy. 80), you will not have to cross either the Golden Gate or the Oakland Bay Bridge, both of which would be very busy.

Getting from the rental car lots to the airport in Oakland is a little less convenient than San Francisco, as each company has their own lots, rather spread out, and runs their own shuttles to the airline terminals. But allow a lot of time and you'll be fine.

Come to think of it, can you not rent at SFO and return at OAK? That would certainly be the easiest solution. If you decide to rent in Sonoma, make sure there is a car rental company near your hotel and check the cost to drop in Oakland.

By the way, I would have thought that booking your round trip flights together (even if in and out of two different airports) would have resulted in an airfare substantially cheaper than booking two one-way tickets. Sounds like that's not the case here.

6. Re: Welcoming input

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, November 13, 2014