We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

topsail beach erosion?

nc
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
topsail beach erosion?

We will be at North Topsail in August. Having never been, what is the status of the beach on the south end, specifically at The Village of Stump Sound?

Topsail Island, NC
Level Contributor
977 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: topsail beach erosion?

The south end isn't bad. It's kind of far out to tell because the winter/spring high tides and waves are generally worse than in the summertime but I wouldn't expect that there would be any problem in that area in August.

If you want, remind me in May, June or July and I'll take some photos of the beach in that area and send them to you.

Pittsburgh
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: topsail beach erosion?

I am coming the 1st time..reserved an oceanfront home 642 Ocean Drive.. now wondering if the photos on www.accessthebeach.com house called Sun Fish actually has that much sand. hmmm

Any info on the increased reports of shark in knee deep water.

Leesburg, Virginia
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: topsail beach erosion?

We too are coming for the first time in July. We will be staying in the seaside village, North Topsail. I am also concerned about erosion. Can you post a picture or give me some insight into just how eroded the beach is there? Thanks!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: topsail beach erosion?

We were in North Topsail Beach last week and stayed on the ocean near the end of the high bridge. At high tide, there was about 2 - 3 feet of beach in front of our home. The tides may be different in the summer and when it is not full moon. Sorry I can't post any photos or give you details about the area where you would be renting (further south). The beach near our place was clean and had just enough shells and water-polished rocks for good beach walking. I wouldn't put a blanket or chairs down and expect them to stay out of the water for the day!

North Topsail...
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: topsail beach erosion?

Beach erosion on the North end is pretty bad right now. The area behind my home on Island Dr. still has plenty of beach, even at high, full moon tide.

missouri
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: topsail beach erosion?

So now i'm a bit nervous. I have rented a house on the beach in the Village of Stump Sound for the first week of June. Is the beach large enough for kids to play and adults to lounge? Is it ok for swimming there? Coming to North Carolina was a big step for us, we always spend a week on Indian Rocks Beach FL and LOVE LOVE LOVE it, but wanted to try something new. Much more expensive for properties in NC similar to Indian Rocks Beach, hope we didn't make a mistake.

Sugar Grove, PA
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: topsail beach erosion?

Staying at Topsail Reef second week in June. Does anyone have any update to the beach erosion or know anything about the progress of the work that is being done there? It is supposed to be done before we arrive, but I'm worried. It's our first trip to NC.

New York City, New...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: topsail beach erosion?

It's our first trip too. I am trying to find out where the house we are considering is. Before we rent can anyone offer any advice on the beach conditions?

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: topsail beach erosion?

I was on the island 2weeks ago, and had good time. Yes the erosion at the north end was bad. While I was there it was a full moon and at high tide there was little beach. Personally , I wouldn't let it ruin my vacation. One good-or bad-storm can bring in more sand, or take it out also. During our stay we spent a day on the beach and it was a nice day, plenty of people enjoying the beach, plenty of sand. A couple of mornings we had to reschedule or morning walks until the tide started going out, or we walked on way on the beach and the other on the road. Check the tide charts for the beach are you will be at and plan accordingly. After all I'm sure you are not going to spend every waking moment on the beach.

As for the work in front of the Reef, the heavy equipment was there, and some work was done, I have no idea about the schedule. I do know it is Turtle egg laying season and there are restrictions of what can and can't be done on the beach.

I hope I covered everything, if not please feel free to ask more questions.

Topsail is a beautiful island I'm sure you all will have a nice time.

Waldorf, Maryland...
Level Contributor
6 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: topsail beach erosion?

Still plenty of room to lay out and play people.

Get answers to your questions about North Topsail Beach