We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is isn't Tequis!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
447 reviews
Is isn't Tequis!

Good grief folks - why not show the respect that the town deserves by taking the time to spell out the entire name?

This was our first visit and I have to say that we really enjoyed the "centro" area. Not only is the area strikingly clean and there was a good feel when walking around during our short visit. We will definitely return for a more extensive visit lasting a number of days!

Since there is a lack of photos in the regular travel section, some may be interested in a small photo album from our visit: https:/…6050759463887639265

5 replies to this topic
Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,508 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Is isn't Tequis!

Well, sometimes it's simply "TX"! Thanks for the pics - it was home for me for 2 years, By the way do you want to buy a house :))

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
2. Re: Is isn't Tequis!

Mexican towns are frequently reduced to shorter versions, especially with longer names. There is absolutely nothing disrespectful about this, and most residents do it as well.

That said, it would be pretty amusing to make a video series of foreigners trying to lecture them about it.

Mexico
6 posts
3. Re: Is isn't Tequis!

Tequisquiapan stands for "Lugar donde brota el agua" , it was famous for its hot springs. Movie celebrities from the golden mexican cinema 50' like Silvia Pinal and Pedro Infante used to vacation here. Since then it was easier to shorten the name, in spanish abreviatuons are sign of care and kindness, similar to shorten the name Roberto to Bob.

Other classical abreviatons for Tequisquiapan are TX... Which i personally dislike it creates confusion with texas. I prefer Tequis or TQx that in spanish can stand for "Te Quiero X"

*wink

Edited: 12:08 am, October 07, 2015
Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,057 posts
34 reviews
4. Re: Is isn't Tequis!

Old topic, but as explained above, we do it a lot.

There's Neza (hualcoyotl), Cuerna (vaca), Aca (pulco), Playa (del Carmen), Tepis (Tepito), Izta (ccihuatl).....those from the top of my head. The pre-hispanic names are more likely to go through this.

I remember a professor from Germany in university who told us how he practiced saying Tlalnepantla for a while, to be able to say where his apartment was, only to quickly find out that he didn't get it and that it was just Tlane, We even drop the second L to make it faster.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
2,062 posts
55 reviews
5. Re: Is isn't Tequis!

Thanks for the photos, I enjoyed them. I spent a day in Tequisquiapan last year, the town was very clean and people seemed friendly. Was very quiet the day I was there. I was really enamored with the church, took many photos and have one of them hanging on the wall here.

Reply to: Is isn't Tequis!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tequisquiapan