We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reserving the Trolltunga-Reinaskorsbu Cabin??

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Odda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Reserving the Trolltunga-Reinaskorsbu Cabin??

I'm trying to plan a trip to Odda at the end of May to hike up Trolltunga.

We'd like to stay overnight in the Reinaskorsbu Cabin towards the middle of the trail, but I'm having a hard time finding information on how to book or reserve bunks in the cabin. We'll have 3 people, and my understanding is that you need to reserve it ahead of time to get a key.

The problem is that I don't know who to email or contact about the cabin. I go to the Odda tourist site, and it says to go to the Norwegian Trekking site, which says to go to another, then I just end up with a few pictures saying that a cabin exists. Can anyone point me in the direction of an email address or official website that lets me reserve a few bunks in the cabin? Also, does anyone know whats included at the cabin, such as sleeping bags and overnight items, so we can determine what we need to pack?

We're hoping the weather will be warm enough for hiking then, but it sounds like it's still a bit unpredictable at that time of year and that we may need to plan for snow. Are there any other tidbits, outside of weather, that we should plan for at Trolltunga at the end of May?

Thanks a ton for the info!

Oslo
Level Contributor
13,495 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reserving the Trolltunga-Reinaskorsbu Cabin??

The lodge belongs to Bergen trekking club

http://www.bergen-turlag.no/

www.bergen-turlag.no/cabin.php…

It seems that the lodge is not locked, but in any case you should contact Bergen for details. There is a food storage (pay for what you consume).

The cabin is at 1100 meters. At this altitude you should be prepared for snow on the ground (remaining from winter), snow map from May last year indicates bare ground or 50-100 cm around the lake. Ask Bergen for advice.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reserving the Trolltunga-Reinaskorsbu Cabin??

It is not possible to reserve bunks at the self-service mountain cabins operated by the trekking associations, the cabins are open to anybody who shows up. There are usually extra mattresses to sleep on the floor if necessary.

Reinaskorsbu is operated by Bergen Turlag. You will find more info and contact information here (in Norwegian, try google translator): www.bergen-turlag.no/cabin.php…

According to the web page Reinaskorsbu is unlocked, I would contact Bergen Turlag anyway to be on the safe side,

The self-service cabins have bunks with mattresses and blankets, you do need to bring a sleeping bag or a sheet sleeping bag. There is a stock of canned and dry foods. You may find more info about the different types of cabins here: english.turistforeningen.no/index.php…

I'm sure you are aware of this, in late May there will still be a lot of snow around Trolltunga and Reinaskorsbu. Good clothing and boots are essential, and of course a good map and a compass.

Edit: OsloViking beat me to it, some of the information is repeated.

Virginia
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reserving the Trolltunga-Reinaskorsbu Cabin??

I had found the Bergen Turlag site, so I ended up sending them an email.

So the cabins are basically first-come, first-serve? So if we get there late, there's a chance that there wont be any beds left to sleep on?

On another note though - I didn't expect that there would still be that much snow on the ground towards the end of May. My wife took a trip last November to Stavenger and hiked Pulpit Rock; it was cold at that time but only small patches of snow on the hike. I guess I assumed that the weather would be comparable.

We may need to spend a bit more time considering our trip if weather is still that much of a concern in May, I'd hate to get there and have too rough of conditions.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,211 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reserving the Trolltunga-Reinaskorsbu Cabin??

Stavanger and the west coast has the mildest climate in Norway - there is usually not a lot of snow and November is early for any snow at all. Odda and Trolltunga is inland and at a much higher altitude. The big snowfalls are usually in February/March/April and if the spring arrives late there may even be snowfall at altitudes as late as May. If the thaw comes late, there is plenty of snow up there. In Røldal they ski in June.

Unmanned mountain refuges are first come - first serve. As iverh explains there are extra mattresses for sleeping on the floor if all bunks are taken. The web site says that for busy week-ends a day trip to Trolltunga is recommended (the refuge is small and has only 6 bunks).

Oslo
Level Contributor
13,495 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reserving the Trolltunga-Reinaskorsbu Cabin??

Trolltunga and Reinaskorsbu are on the western edge of Hardangervidda plateau.

Bergen line in mid-May, same altitude as Trolltunga but slightly more inland

vossnow.net/Database/…5Cfoto42868.jpg

vossnow.net/Database/…5Cfoto42870.jpg

May-June is usually regarded as a between-season, mostly too late for skiing (often lots of snow but also too much water) and too early for hiking (depends on altitude and inland/coast). During snow melting in May-June there is often loads of water everywhere in the highland.

Road 7 across Hardangervidda in May 2012:

…blogspot.com/-IzG6oH5Bu80/…IMG_0336.JPG

Edited: 8:37 am, January 26, 2013
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Reserving the Trolltunga-Reinaskorsbu Cabin??

did u go there? did you use the cabins?

Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reserving the Trolltunga-Reinaskorsbu Cabin??

Are keys required for the reinaskorsbu hut? Where can u obtain these keys before attempting hike? We will be staying in odda camping for a day or 2 prior to the hike, can a key b obtained from somewhere in odda?

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reserving the Trolltunga-Reinaskorsbu Cabin??

Reinaskorsbu was closed last winter, it is not possible to stay there any more. It is apparently in need of total renovation. The closest cabin is Tyssevassbu, 5,6km from Reinaskorsbu.

http://ut.no/hytte/reinaskor

Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reserving the Trolltunga-Reinaskorsbu Cabin??

Thanks, Does this other hut require key or is it unlocked?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,211 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reserving the Trolltunga-Reinaskorsbu Cabin??

You normally need a key for all unmanned cabins.

http://ut.no/hytte/tyssevassbu

Edited: 9:54 am, March 27, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Odda
More Odda Topics