We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AB motel or somewhere else?

Which Pantai Cenang hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leicester, United...
10 posts
Save Topic
AB motel or somewhere else?

Hi Guys

We are thinking of visiting malaysia in January, i need your advice on accommodation.

There are 4 of us travelling (2 couples)

The whole trip is from 4th Jan to 14th Jan.

KL from 4th till 8th and Langkawi from 8th till 14th

We have selected Dorset Regency for KL but with langkawi we are struggling.

We would like something on the beach and we are on budget so we are considering AB Motel do you think this would be a good choice?

Ive read somewhere that they don’t offer reservation; not sure if its true. but if it is; will it be busy during that period?

Thanks for looking

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
9,340 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AB motel or somewhere else?

Hi

If you are wanting to book AB Motel then may I suggest you do it as soon as possible. January is peak time on the island and you will be lucky to book anywhere if you leave it too long.

I have never been around AB Motel but it looks ok from the outside and it gets some quite good reviews.

Lesley

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,624 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AB motel or somewhere else?

the problem with ab motel, and others like it, is there is no pool. from time to time, p.cenang is unpleasant to swim, because of sea-jellies.

awana porto malai is a budget option, and will cost around £400 per room, including breakfast, for your dates, for the whole six nights. most other hotels are around £130 per night then, january is high season. this hotel has a nice pool, is not on a beach, but is on the waterfront with stunning views. they run boats to a beach on a nearby island for guests, and you can walk to p.tengah.

for an alternative, low budget, no pool accommodation, look at casa fina. not directly on the beach, it is about a year old and seems very clean and nice. around £35 per room per night, no breakfast.

pam

Leicester, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: AB motel or somewhere else?

thanks for the responses guys it really helps.

i can overlook the pool if need be. i'll check casa fina too.

i would prefer something that i can book before i get there.

as its my first time there i dont want to leave it last minute

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
6,973 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AB motel or somewhere else?

Dear Wasim,

did you consider Beach Garden and Sunset Beach Resort? Both are slightly more expensive but worth every penny.

Eva

Leicester, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: AB motel or somewhere else?

Hi eva

I have read the reviews on both but i couldnt book them online? Am i missing something?

I have in the mean time booked the Federal villa. But i still have time to change my mind if need be.

What do you guys think of federal villa? I know the reviews are not the most reassuring but just 2 days ago FV was completely booked out. I tried booking malibest too but that was fully booked to

Wasim

Leicester, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: AB motel or somewhere else?

Hi eva

I have read the reviews on both but i couldnt book them online? Am i missing something?

I have in the mean time booked the Federal villa. But i still have time to change my mind if need be.

What do you guys think of federal villa? I know the reviews are not the most reassuring but just 2 days ago FV was completely booked out. I tried booking malibest too but that was fully booked to

Wasim

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,624 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AB motel or somewhere else?

federal is in the same grounds as holiday villas and shares facilities. the pool is very nice, and the beach pretty enough. there is plenty of choice of restaurants close by, so you need not book with breakfast, which from the reviews might be disappointing. can't comment on the rooms, other than the reviews are not brilliant. however, imho, this is reflected in the price.

pam

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AB motel or somewhere else?

As posted above, Casa Fina is well worth visiting. I stayed there for five nights recently and couldn't fault it. We paid a little extra (20 RM extra per night - still a great price though) and had one of the chalets (each with veranda) overlooking a central grassy area. Very nice, very clean & very tidy....plus friendly staff too. The cheaper rooms are above a rank of shops - can't comment on their quality - but they don't have a veranda and it's nice to have the outdoors option. It's my understanding that Casa Fina opened in Feb 2011 so it still has a 'new' feel about it.

Casa Fina is about 5 mins walk from the beach. There is a decent cafe nearby called Red Tomato - great for breakfast. Incidentally, there's another cafe in P.C. called 'Tomato' which is of the Indian variety and superb!.

Leicester, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: AB motel or somewhere else?

Hi All

just thought id update this.

I have now booked casa fina as federal villa just didnt give me the peace of mind.

the reviews for casa fina are just way more plesant.

thanks all for your input.

i had one more question....do you think it would be better for me to do shopping in KL or langkawi? things like gifts for friends/family and souvenirs

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
9,340 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: AB motel or somewhere else?

Hi

Do all your shopping in KL. As much as I love Langkawi, it is not a shopping paradise - KL is.

Enjoy

Lesley