We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Langkawi early October with Teenagers - Advice please :)

Which Pantai Cenang hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Langkawi early October with Teenagers - Advice please :)

Hi all,

I'm currently living in Shanghai, am trying to make reservations for 1st week in October with husband and teenage boy and teenage girl. Any advice on where to stay that would be appropriate for their ages - not looking for a place with too many little kids, but also not looking for a place with honeymooners. So far on the list is Meritus Pelangi, and The Andaman... thoughts please - and thank you! Also, the flights that I am seeing are very long - 12 to 20 hours to get there, if you can offer advice on this as well, much appreciated!

Tracy

Norfolk.
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Langkawi early October with Teenagers - Advice please :)

Hi Tracy

The Andaman is very remote with nothing to do all day but laze about so may not be suitable for teens due to boredom threshold.

Pelangi is great for families but as there is a kids club there might be quite a few little ones about. Have a look at the Frangipani or Holiday Villas as these are on Pentai Tengah & there are plenty of restaurants & bars for you to try.

I take it that your flights are not direct & it is the waiting time between the flights that is an issue rather than the flight itself. I have just had a quick look at the Air Malaysia site & there is indeed a long stopover on the way out but have you considered spending 1 night in KL?

Have fun

Mick

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Langkawi early October with Teenagers - Advice please :)

Hey Mick,

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback, you're right...remote = boring for the teenagers! I would consider staying in KL overnight, if it wouldn't be more of a hassle (finding a hotel somewhat near the airport with things to see while there). Do you have any ideas of where to stay in KL that wouldn't be too much trouble for just overnight?

Thanks so much, I'm running out of time!

Tracy

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
6,989 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Langkawi early October with Teenagers - Advice please :)

Dear Tracy,

staying at the Andaman I would rent a car as the taxis from the hotel are very expensive. The Andaman is a lovely resort and gives you a true 5 star feeling. By car it takes you about 40 min. to get to either Kuah or Cenang. The experience of staying in the rain forest with so much wildlife around is surely interesting for the teens. The Andaman has a few facilities and some kayaks and catamarans. They offer nature walks and other activities.

October is one of the wettest months and at the Andamn you can expect more rain than at the west coast.

Pelangi is one of the oldest resorts on the island and I love it a lot. It needs a bit of renovation here and there but I would consider it an excellent 4 star resort. The location allows you to go out without transport and the resort itself has nice pools and other facilities to keep the teens busy.

It would surely be a good idea to split the holiday between these two resorts.

Langkawi, Malaysia
Level Contributor
277 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Langkawi early October with Teenagers - Advice please :)

Pelangi would definitely be better than the Andaman because the distance to go anywhere is far and if the kids want to go anywhere whilst at The Pelangi Hotel, they can walk everywhere, meaning that mom and dad can stay at the pool and the kids have a little bit of freedom as well.

Restaurants and bars are within walking distance and you are right on the beach as well....

Have fun!

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,636 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Langkawi early October with Teenagers - Advice please :)

as for k.l.; there really isn't much of interest near the airport. it is about 80km from the city, a trip of about an hour.

pam

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Langkawi early October with Teenagers - Advice please :)

If we were to get a room at the Pelangi, could you please tell me how safe it would be for teenagers to be out and about on their own outside the hotel grounds? We are quite spoiled with the safety here in Shanghai, and my biggest fear is that my kids have a false sense of safety. It would be great if they could have their own freedom, but need to know and understand the atmosphere. Thanks all, your knowledge is priceless!

Tracy

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
9,464 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Langkawi early October with Teenagers - Advice please :)

Hi

Your kids should be fine outside the hotel on their own as long as they remain aware of their surroundings and not go off alone anywhere where it is particularly dark and lonesome.

Langkawi is very safe. As a female solo traveller I would have no worries about being in Pantai Cenang alone - but then people tell me I can be very scary - wot cheek!!

Lesley

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,636 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Langkawi early October with Teenagers - Advice please :)

they are more at risk from traffic than anything. if they have good road sense, and are trained to pay attention, they will be fine. some moped riders can be unpredictable, driving on the wrong side of the road, or even on the sidewalk.

also, it is not unheard of for manhole covers and drain grates to be lifted or missing...

pam

Langkawi, Malaysia
Level Contributor
277 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Langkawi early October with Teenagers - Advice please :)

Your kids are absolutely safe here! I have lived here for three years and have NEVER felt unsafe, even at three in the morning, quite tipsy and alone...!

BUT as Pam has stated, the motorcycle drivers are not alert, so be careful of them!

Have fun and dont worry!

Melbourne,Australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Langkawi early October with Teenagers - Advice please :)

Hi Eva

You have given me good advice before,so I thought I'd ask what the weather might be like in mid September when we will be travelling to Langkawi? I see that you said that October is one of the wettest months there.

Laurie