We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

monthly costs in langkawi ...(compared to thailand) help!

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
monthly costs in langkawi ...(compared to thailand) help!

Hi

How much would it cost to stay in langkawi - food and accomodation for one?

the cheapest option. don't mind standard of room as plan to spend day at beach...

And if you happen to know...compared to monthly living costs in thailand - anywhere - the cheapest place?

thanks

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: monthly costs in langkawi ...(compared to thailand) help!

To be more specific...for example...

Could one have a monthly budget of 1000,- to 1.500,- malaysian ringett?

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,389 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: monthly costs in langkawi ...(compared to thailand) help!

Hi

1500myr including accomodation or 1500myr excluding accomodation??

Thats not much in Langakwi (£10 a day, or NZ$20), especially if you are looking for accomodation / food etc.

Beach living is not that popular in Langkawi, no real facilities, ie sunbeds, food outlets etc.

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,623 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: monthly costs in langkawi ...(compared to thailand) help!

Think your minimum would be rm100 per day inc accommodation - you would need to eat very cheap and avoid alcohol and trips etc.

this link will give you an idea about prices.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298302-i9174-k352…

Langkawi - despite being 'tax free' is expensive as it is a tourist 'honey pot'

Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: monthly costs in langkawi ...(compared to thailand) help!

i think you can spend the same on langkawi as thailand beach, a basic bungalow at sirin villa should be approx 50rm or less, there are plenty of cheap local food places in pantai cenang so 100rm a day is doable .

if you have experience you can hire a scooter and see the island , visit tanjung rhu beach.

pantai cenang is not as nice as most thai beaches but it is fairly nice but watch out for the jellyfish.

i just re read your post and no i doubt you could live on 15OOmyr.

i thought i was a budget traveller but i couldn,t survive on that in thailand either especially if that figure is including accomodation.

langkawi can certainly be a budget destination contrary to some peoples perception but maybe not ultra budget.

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
7,014 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: monthly costs in langkawi ...(compared to thailand) help!

Dear Anne,

the cheapest place I know of is Gecko's but they seem to have a security problem. I you consider to stay longer, you can rent a house - some cost no more than 200 Ringgit in a month!

Food can be very inexpensive, a roti and a tea is less than 2 Ringgit. As Langkawi has no public transport system, you would either have to stay in Cenang or in Kuah or rent a bike.

Eva

6. Re: monthly costs in langkawi ...(compared to thailand) help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 02, 2011