We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on hiking south of Compaccio

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
84 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on hiking south of Compaccio

We are thinking of hiking in August in the Alps di Siusi and would like to have some advice please.

We shall be arriving in Milano and will then have to travel by public transport to the starting point of the trail.

We want to do this hike absolutely leisurely - no rush - enjoying scenery and ambience as we go.

DAY 1: from the Panorama Hotel south of Compaccio walking to Rifugio Bolzano

DAY 2: From R Bolzano to Rifugio Alpe de Tires

DAY 3: From R Alpe di Tires to another Rifugio and stay 2 nights - Rifugio Passo Princip OR Tifugio Antermoia ?????

DAY 4: hike in area and sleep over in same place as DAY 3 - is this adviseable?

DAY 5: Hike out either to Vigo de Fassa OR Fontanazza ???

Days 3,4 and 5 is not clear to me - what option will be the best?

Looking forward hearing from anybody with good advice.

Portland, Oregon
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on hiking south of Compaccio

Tesmith-

The route you have outlined above is very similar to one my husband and I are considering this month. I thought I'd ask to see how it went and to see if you have insider tips. How hard was it to to find room in the refugios?

We are experienced backpackers but are excited to enjoy the hut-to-hut syle of bakpacking for the first time.

Sarah

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
84 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on hiking south of Compaccio

Hello, Our hike went superbly and was one of the best things we've done in a long time. We booked all our accommodation in advance because it was peak season. If you are going any other time than August, I do NOT think it is necessary to book. The hikes were easy with no complications on the way. Good lucj and enjoy it!

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,822 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on hiking south of Compaccio

We were in the Dolomites in July and for the most part did not have problems getting space in the rifugios. The exception being weekends. If you don't book ahead of time, just have backup plans in place.

4. Re: Advice on hiking south of Compaccio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 23, 2014