We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May - temperature and mosquitoes

Which Alykes hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
South Wales
Level Contributor
11 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
May - temperature and mosquitoes

Hiya. 3rd visit to Greece, but going in May this time. Will the sea be warm enough to swim in and will I need a cardigan for the evenings? Also, lucky enough to never have encountered mosquitoes, but should I expect them in Zante in May?

benidorm
Level Contributor
749 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May - temperature and mosquitoes

Hi

Sea probably not warm enough to swim in May, but I'm a softie. You will definitely need a cardigan at night, especially earlier in the month. Mossies shouldn't be too bad so early but take repellent anyway. We will be in Alykes in May also so may see you there.

Have a lovely holiday.

Zakynthos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Zakynthos, Tsilivi, Kalamaki
Level Contributor
5,520 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May - temperature and mosquitoes

The sea is warmer than a pool, temps can range from 22-28 deg, mainly sunny but very cold at night.

Rhodes, Greece
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: May - temperature and mosquitoes

'very cold'???

I've been to Alykes before in mid may and it was around 27 in the day, mid-teens at night, and while there was a bit of a chill in the air come 11pm or so it was nothing another beer couldn't fight off, or failing that a light jumper, but we just wore shorts and t-shirt as we would at home (Rhodes). I wouldn't even describe mid-winter here as 'very cold', apart from the odd clear night in feb that can dip down to 2 or 3 degrees at times, unless you're in the mountains of course, where it's even possible to ski.

The sea was pretty cold but OK once you were in and swimming around.

You don't say where you're staying but I can say that it was VERY quiet in Alykes and Alykanas last may and Tsilivi and Laganas weren't really much different, but there was enough people around to have a decent atmosphere.

UK
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: May - temperature and mosquitoes

We've been going to zante every May (last week) for the past 10 years or so. I swim in the sea most days, its not cold just a bit of a shock first dip then its lovely. I've NEVER worn a long sleeved top while there, in fact for the last 3 years I haven't bothered taking one.. jeans & t-shirt at night at the most. My wife usually takes a thin scarf type wrap to put on her shoulders if she gets a bit chilly at night but that usually stays in her bag.

If you feel the cold at all then take a thin cardi type top, but you'll probably only need it occasionally if it gets a bit breezy & you're in an exposed place.

We've never had a problem with mozzies although we use mozzie-milk just in case

Zakynthos, Greece
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,520 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: May - temperature and mosquitoes

Well in the 11 years i've had a business on the island i can only remember 2 Mays that had warm nights, the others i've had to put outdoor heaters on. Of course its warmer if you sit indoors.

In saying that not every night is cold but its very unpredictable.

Edited: 2:50 pm, January 11, 2012
Rhodes, Greece
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: May - temperature and mosquitoes

maybe your tolerance to the cold is lower, by English standards your nights are as warm as English days, not looking for an argument mate but it's not cold at night in Zante in may, never heard anyone say it is, it's the same as here(Rhodes) more or less, and in 10 years here I don;t think i've worn a coat at night in may once apart from riding my bike home

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: May - temperature and mosquitoes

Everyones idea of cold or warm is obviously different.

We've been going to Argassi for 11 years at different times of the year & we've been there in every month of the season. We prefer late May/early June & have been at that time for the past 6 years & can't say we've had a "cold" night in all that time (the worst weather we had was the year we went in July!!) Like alfauk, I've never worn anything warmer than a teeshirt & jeans/trousers & we always sit outside at the bars etc, occasionally if its a bit windy Sylv will wear a thin wrap/cardi on her shoulders but thats it. Even sitting by the sea at Remezzos late at night I've never felt "cold" obviously its not exactly scorching.

Having said all that we have seen people walking round at night wearing fleece jackets but I think they're just soft!!

We spend most of our sunbed time at our favourite beach/pool bar & always spend quite a bit of time in the pool & in the sea. I wouldn't say either were cold at all more like "refreshing"!!

As far as the mozzies go we've never really been bothered by them & if there are any about sensible precautions wiil solve any problems. Even in May we always use the air-con & keep the room fairly cold so that helps to slow the little buggers down.

Zakynthos, Greece
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,520 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: May - temperature and mosquitoes

Perhaps its just my customers who are soft and say its very cold and want the heaters put on haha. The temp does drop quite a bit from the daytime to night time in May and Oct its not like the high season months when its warm at day and night.

The best thing to do is bring a fleece or a thin jacket just in case, how much room does one item take up.

Edited: 10:31 am, January 12, 2012
London, UK
Destination Expert
for Zakynthos
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: May - temperature and mosquitoes

I always go end of May/beginning of June and I agree with Kev, it can be a bit chilly in the evenings if sitting outside, although it's okay if you're walking around. I remember it being chilly enough early June a few years ago to need a blanket on the bed - the weather is not as predictable as it was when I first started visiting the island many moons ago.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
305 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: May - temperature and mosquitoes

We are going to Alikes for 3 weeks from 3rd of May. Have been before in mid May and it was warm and breezy during the day, and the water was bearable for a swim. The coolest nights we've experienced were in June 2010 when the wind was howling at night and I needed a fleece - and I'm a toughened Geordie :-)

Get answers to your questions about Alykes
Recent Conversations
More Alykes Topics