We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

solan or kasauli or barog

Delhi
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
solan or kasauli or barog

Hi

I am planning a 3 days trip. Have got my reservations done to/from kalka. I am not able to decide which place should i visit. I am confused among the options of kasauli, barog and solan. Some say that kasauli has more tourist attractions while others say that barog is more beautiful.

When i look for hotels on internet, I get more options for kasauli. could anyone of you please suggest which place should i go for along with the hotels and a proposed itenary.

I would also like to experience the toy train journey too, if possible. Please suggest someone. Thanks in advance.

Regards.

9 replies to this topic
Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: solan or kasauli or barog

Since you have 3 days, you can see both Kasauli & Barog. Solan, as such, does not have much to offer for tourists & is more of a commercial town.

In between Kasauli & Barog, kasauli is more developed & touristy. You can take toy train from Kalka to Barog. Spend a day there & head for Kasauli.

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
35,616 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: solan or kasauli or barog

Considering the pros and cons, I would suggest for Barog. Its more scenic, surrounded by pine and oak forests. Solan is only 8 kms from Barog, so, that can be done in a short trip. There are some interesing sights near Barog - Rajgarh, Gaura (Riverside fishing), Karol Goofa and Monastery. The Pinewood run by HPTDC is strategically located to get the best view.

Barog is the major station between Kalka and Shimla railway route. Tasty snacks available at Barog station.

AshisRoy

Edited: 4:25 am, September 01, 2011
Delhi
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: solan or kasauli or barog

thanks so much for the replies guys....people with me are suggesting for chail now. now i am confused again?

barog will be a preference over kasauli for sure. but chail or barog is another confusion now. please suggest. thanks so much in advance.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: solan or kasauli or barog

Chail is nice too..... If i had to choose between Barog & Chail, i prefer Chail.....

What i suggest you can do is, take a toy train till Barog, spend a day there & then drive to Chail the next day. Barog is in between Kalka & Chail...

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
35,616 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: solan or kasauli or barog

Stick to Barog, do holiday camping in Chail (Jungle livinn or so) for a day.

AshisRoy

Edited: 1:54 pm, September 01, 2011
india
Level Contributor
97 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: solan or kasauli or barog

Hi,

I would go for Chail or Kasuli.Kasuli is a charming small town with beautiful walks .Being an army cantonment is has traffic restrictions which makes walking quite a pleasure.Dharampur 13 kms away has great eating options.

Barog in right on the national highway and any you are immiedately on the highway once you are out of you hotels.

Solan, India
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: solan or kasauli or barog

Since you have three days and you too want to enjoy a journey of toy train....

1st day you should move from toy train to kandaghat and from there you shold go to chail Hotel Ekant a cool place to relax and enjoy the nature....

2nd day after your half day sightseeing of chail you can further procide to Barog...

3rd day you can switch to kasuli...this will provide you to explore all the three destination..

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
40 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: solan or kasauli or barog

Hi since I have work in YSP University would it make better sense to stay in Solan, Rajgarh Road or Barog so that in my free time I can do some sightseeing in and around Solan.

Level Contributor
1,265 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: solan or kasauli or barog

For solan sightseeing better stay at Barog or Kumarhatti that way you can access the university easily.

Reply to: solan or kasauli or barog
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Solan
Recent Conversations