We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxis and wheelchair access around Lake Vinuela

Widnes, United...
13 posts
Save Topic
Taxis and wheelchair access around Lake Vinuela

Hi All

My partner and I have been offered a villa just north of Los Romanes in April but we don't know a lot about the area apart from what the villa owner has told us.

My partner is in a wheelchair and we need to know how accessible the restaurants and bars in the villages around the lake are? Also, as we would have to be getting taxis everywhere as neither of us fancies driving whilst we are there, what would be a reasonable fare for say a 10-15 minute journey which is what most of the villages are from the villa?

We don't want to be stranded in the middle of nowhere just because it's a cheap holiday, we need to be able to get about but are a bit wary of how easy that will be.

Many thanks for any help you can give us!

Malaga Outdoor
Kayaking & Canoeing, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Climbing Tours, Canyoning & Rappelling Tours
Lake Vinuela
Bodies of Water
Aqua Vinuela
Gear Rentals, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Trekking Aventura Romanes 4x4
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
10 replies to this topic
Torrox, Spain
Level Contributor
3,824 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxis and wheelchair access around Lake Vinuela

Excellent local taxi service run by a lovely woman Elena who speaks perfect English. Taxi fares are very reasonable - we live at the bottom of the road to Los Romanes and, on the odd occasion we use taxis, pay €5-€10 to get to La Vinuela, Los Romanes or Puente Don Manuel; expect to pay a little extra after 11 p.m.

Local shops and bars/restaurants all wheelchair friendly.

This is a beautiful area to stay - let me know if you have any questions and I will be more than happy to provide necessary information.

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxis and wheelchair access around Lake Vinuela

Just a quick question on this, are the taxi drivers wheelchair friendly Campolady??

CB

3. Re: Taxis and wheelchair access around Lake Vinuela

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:21 am, January 08, 2013

Torrox, Spain
Level Contributor
3,824 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxis and wheelchair access around Lake Vinuela

If the OPs husband can get out of the wheelchair with assistance taxis are spacious and there is no problem with storing the chair in the boot.

If he needs a taxi that he can sit in his chair in he will struggle to find one anywhere round here - coast or inland.

Suggest the OP contacts Elena to ask for accurate information - she may recommend another company at Periana across the lake with a wider variety of vehicles that may suit better but, due to a longer pick up journey, prices will be dearer.

Edited: 6:24 am, January 08, 2013
Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxis and wheelchair access around Lake Vinuela

Ahh ok, that was my query.

If you call the company in Benal they will send the appropriate vehicle for you if the passenger would prefer to remain in the chair rather than endure difficulty getting in and out of it.

Just wasn't sure whether you had the same service there, hence the question.

Have tried to find a number for Elena but without success....

CB

Widnes, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxis and wheelchair access around Lake Vinuela

Thanks for such a speedy reply!

That's very helpful, he can transfer into a car and the chair comes apart so a normal car is fine for us. What is the etiquette regarding tipping taxi drivers there? Also, any advice on transfers from Malaga Airport, price, reliable companies etc??

I'm so glad I posted on here, a little reassurance goes a long way!

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxis and wheelchair access around Lake Vinuela

Excellent stuff PHME, i will leave the rest to Campolady as she's the expert on that area :)

CB

8. Re: Taxis and wheelchair access around Lake Vinuela

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:58 am, January 08, 2013
Edited: 6:58 am, January 08, 2013

Torrox, Spain
Level Contributor
3,824 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxis and wheelchair access around Lake Vinuela

Taxis don´t expect much of a tip - most people just round off to the nearest Euro although we tend to add a little extra for good service.

For anyone else interested Elenas tel no is 616 034 636 - don´t forget to add the 0034 at the beginning if ringing from a UK mobile.

Edited: 7:02 am, January 08, 2013
Widnes, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxis and wheelchair access around Lake Vinuela

Thanks to both of you, I feel much more excited at the prospect of visiting now.

The fear of the unknown isn't always the beginning of an adventure, sometimes it can be a disaster waiting to happen! ha

Reply to: Taxis and wheelchair access around Lake Vinuela
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted